Time Stood Still

Trab

Time Stood Still

By Trab

Time stood still.

Well, not really, but it seemed to.

Slowly, ever so slowly, it moved again. The bee buzzed angrily, or maybe it was pain. Do bees feel pain? If a part of your body is ripped away, does it hurt? I think so. I?m sure it does, for me, but for a bee?

Slowly, but with increasing acceleration, my heart began to pound. My ears could no longer hear the buzzing, for the throbbing pound of the blood in my ears. My vision danced, spinning from I know not what. A sharp agonizing pain finally assaulted me, where the bee had left that tiny little bit behind. I had only seen what had happened, but now the full reality hit me. I had been stung. The full deadly reality hit me, hard.

Without thought, a near reflex took over. I groped for my cell phone with one hand, and my Epi-pen with the other. I managed to flip the cap, and jammed the pen into my thigh, just as I got 9-1-1. Everything was going black, but I told them where I was, and then?

Time stood still.

Well, not really, but it seemed to.

Slowly, ever so slowly, it moved again. The siren wailed angrily, or maybe it was cheering. I don?t know, but hearing it was sweet ecstasy.

Copyright Trab, 2007. All rights reserved.

I guess Flash Fiction is writing for those with attention deficit. Just kidding...

In a way it is like poems that people write; snippets of truths and realities, but without the rhyming. I don't think it needs to be that either though. I don't see any reason it couldn't be a happy uplifting thing. It just seems that for me, I write when I need to vent, or purge, and when I'm feeling 100% fine, I don't find any need to put it to words.