Australians Welcome Obama

Our Australian Prime Minister reflects Aussie feelings of good will towards our American friends.

Hell, Obama has already worked a miracle by inspiring our Prime Minister Rudd to sound coherent. :evilgrin:

Full Article

Rudd hails Obama as 'the hope of our time'

By Washington correspondent Kim Landers and staff

Mr Rudd says Australia will work side-by-side with Mr Obama to overcome the global financial crisis. (AAP: Dave Hunt, file photo)

Related Story: Obama calls for new era of responsibility Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says the American people chose the right man when they elected Barack Obama as President.

Mr Obama has officially taken control of the White House as the 44th President of the United States, and the first African-American to hold the position.

Mr Rudd says Mr Obama's election during a turbulent economic spell shows Americans rise to their best during tough times.

"They have set Barack Obama the mighty task of rebuilding the American economy and leading the recovery of the international economy: a great task for a man I believe to be a great man," Mr Rudd said.

"I believe from everything I have seen, read and heard and from the conversations that I have had with him that the American people have chosen well."

Mr Rudd says Australia will work side-by-side with Mr Obama to overcome the global financial crisis.

"These are dark times but a new age and a new optimism - tempered by the magnitude of the challenges ahead - is about to dawn across the Pacific," he said.

"Barack Obama truly is the hope of our time and I say this to the new President of the United States and through him to the new people, that Australia as always stands ready to work with America in the great challenges that lie ahead."

I must say it is extremely nice to again have a president who is able to speak coherently while stringing a number of sentences together to form a understandable and moving message. What a nice change after the last president.

I must also point out that I have a high degree of certainty that President Obama has read, and understands, the Constitution and Bill of Rights of the United States of America. This, too, is a nice change of pace from the previous administration, who routinely treated those magnificent documents no better than toilet tissue. Perhaps now we can again stand proud, our heads held high, as a new administration returns us to the rule of law, and leads us in living out, as Dr. King put it, "the full measure of our creed.'

Congratulations, Mr. President. How can I help?

Rick

I must say it is extremely nice to again have a president who is able to speak coherently while stringing a number of sentences together to form a understandable and moving message. What a nice change after the last president.

I must also point out that I have a high degree of certainty that President Obama has read, and understands, the Constitution and Bill of Rights of the United States of America. This, too, is a nice change of pace from the previous administration, who routinely treated those magnificent documents no better than toilet tissue. Perhaps now we can again stand proud, our heads held high, as a new administration returns us to the rule of law, and leads us in living out, as Dr. King put it, "the full measure of our creed.'

Congratulations, Mr. President. How can I help?

Rick

Except for the Second Amendment, but I guess that one isn't important anymore. Next goes the 4th, 1st, 5th, and 6th. I don't think the guy is a miracle worker and people are going to be sadly disappointed when he can't magically fix the economy with more government spending and solve all of our problems instantaneously. I seem to be in the minority though on this subject, aparently :icon1:

Except for the Second Amendment, but I guess that one isn't important anymore. Next goes the 4th, 1st, 5th, and 6th. I don't think the guy is a miracle worker and people are going to be sadly disappointed when he can't magically fix the economy with more government spending and solve all of our problems instantaneously. I seem to be in the minority though on this subject, aparently :icon1:

Not at all, Insomniac, in fact I think Obama would probably even agree with your assessment of the difficulties his administration faces. The thing I think he is saying is that it is necessary to try to do at least as much good, as can be done, and for that he will need everyone's help and optimism.

• 2 weeks later...

This president does have a reputation as a miracle worker. The winning of this election is probably the most compelling example. But he is, after all, only a man. To expect him to overcome all the world's ills is illogical. But he has surrounded himself with people of extremely competent skills and abilities. And he has charged them all with his own desire to work towards the benefit of all peoples, not just Americans. If anyone stands a chance of succeeding to help pull the world out of it's economic quagmire, I think he is the one. But let's realize that it will be a slow, painful process.

I am also greatly relieved that he doesn't seem to be in the deep pockets of the oil industry and is devoted to helping ween us from the dependence of foreign oil. We can't continue using up the world's finite resources as if there is no tomorrow. Because then we bequeath our children with a world of no tomorrows. And it's foolish to continue filling the purses of those nations that hate us and would see us destroyed. I don't expect any quick miracles in this area, but I breath a deep sigh of relief knowing that this is an administration that won't spend its four or eight years with their heads stuck into the sand. We can finally move forward in a positive direction. And I can once again say "I'm proud to be an American"!

And, oh yeah, I finally got off my duff and joined the board here. I don't know that I'll be contributing much but it will be fun to read the postings.

Peace, out! travolta.gif

• 2 weeks later...