Different word uses

Now that surprises me Pec, I am heartened to see you declare your dislike of omitting the preposition.

I thought omitting it was at least common in the US because I am so used to hearing the request, "Write me," instead of, "Write to me."

No, there's certain expressions for which omitting the preposition works fine. Heck, there was a huge 1962 hit, "Call Me," and that's been a phrase used almost since the invention of the telephone.

But "graduating high school" irks me. I'm also not a big fan of "you wanna come with?" That's just weird. And my partner just added his pet peeve: "It's the exact same," vs. "it's the exact same thing." I think in all these cases, it's examples of language laziness, where it's easier to shorten the sentence instead of just saying all the words.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These grammar/usage pet peeves make me smile. If you were to visit my school, you might all suffer massive brain hemorrhages within minutes. If "I'll go with" bothers you...

My students tend to believe that every preposition is interchangeable, the word "is" and all it's forms do not exist, subject/verb agreement is optional, and that when in doubt, use the words "dude!" "man!" or "fuck!" (including in academic papers). Also, the word "up" always, ALWAYS precedes the words "on," "off," "out," and "in".

For instance (overheard earlier today):

A: "Where Malahj'zia?"

B: "He up on bus, dude!"

A: "Man! Why he on bus?"

B: "Fuck, they all BEEN been up on that bus."

A: "Dude need to get up off that bus."

B: "He do!"

I live in a world of non-standard American English Vernacular. :lol:

The 911 switchboard just jammed with too many callers.

Healthcare workers have been dispatched to Cole and Trab, and Pecman has taken a Tylenol.

I have locked my doors and switched off the TV as that seems to be the cause of much bad grammar.

The Dude has fainted, but don't worry his cats are licking him back to consciousness.

We are all up in admiration of your stamina to cope with your students' English, EleCivil.

:lol:

Actually, I'm neither shocked nor appalled. What I am is envious.

As a putative writer, a word I realize I'm using very loosely, hearing this sort of dialect direct from the horse's mouth, and frequently enough so it could become reproducible, is wonderful stuff. Leanring, and then knowing that language will allow you to introduce characters who'll talk like some kids really do. Authenticity. What more could a writer want?

I'm currently teaching math to a few elementary school kids. I was looking for just such an opportunity myself to gain usable knowledge, but alas, my students speak a very close approximation of English, unlike E/C's. So I am envious. Of the language he gets to hear, though, not of the disciplinary problems that most likely come part and parcel with it.

C

My students tend to believe that every preposition is interchangeable, the word "is" and all it's forms do not exist, subject/verb agreement is optional, and that when in doubt, use the words "dude!" "man!" or "fuck!"

Elecivil, you are a saint to put up with these kids. notworthy.gif

Another one I hate is unexplained plurals. "I talked to my Moms, and she say we gotta be home by 9." Moms? You got more than one?

Hep me!

Elecivil, you are a saint to put up with these kids. notworthy.gif

Another one I hate is unexplained plurals. "I talked to my Moms, and she say we gotta be home by 9." Moms? You got more than one?

Hep me!

Obviously "Moms" might refer to his legal guardians who are lesbians (or perhaps his Father likes to cross dress.) :lol:

What concerned me most was the singular "she say" when it should have been "they say", but maybe that was a typo?

As a putative writer, a word I realize I'm using very loosely, hearing this sort of dialect direct from the horse's mouth, and frequently enough so it could become reproducible, is wonderful stuff. Leanring, and then knowing that language will allow you to introduce characters who'll talk like some kids really do. Authenticity. What more could a writer want?

Well, I grew up in this same area - I lived in what was lovingly called "The White Ghetto" or "The Wonderbread Projects" - so I was already fluent. Heh.

Another advantage to growing up in the same area where I'm teaching? I understand "Welcome Back, Kotter" more than I ever have in the past.

Hep me!

From what I've seen, that's just a nickname. They're not pluralizing; it's just more socially acceptable than "Mommy" and more affectionate than "Mom." Kind of like calling your grandfather "Gramps."