Marines Addressed - Must Read

Guest Dabeagle

Back in 1993 I made a point in a community debate about allowing gays to serve in the military. The point was simple: If the President orders it, the military will do an exemplary job of incorporating openly gay service members into the fabric of military society. It may be eighteen years later (god help me I feel old), but I'm happy to be proven right.

On an aside, the forum was reported in the local newspaper. Fearing the reaction of my relatives at the time, I used a different name - but my picture was on the front page so it made no difference as far as the family was concerned. Yes, the reporter knew my real name, but they didn't print it at that time. Over the next few years I made the newspaper on several other issues (The Modesto Bee mostly, although there were reprints in some of the other California papers), and in all of those articles I let my real name be used. It's amusing that eighteen years ago I was afraid of having my name printed in the local newspaper, but had no problem standing up in a room filled with hundreds of people and arguing a point they didn't like to hear.

It's almost amusing how irrational fear can be (and that proves just so many points about human nature it can fill a semester psychology course).

I was afraid of having my name printed in the local newspaper, but had no problem standing up in a room filled with hundreds of people and arguing a point they didn't like to hear.

Aren't co-incidences wonderful?

This very day, there's an article in The Times here in the UK, about the British Public School system (Boarding School) and it's harmful effects on the minds of the very young children who are sent away from home to these institutions. I was interviewed for the article, and the photograph that heads the page is of me at the age of ten, or possibly eleven. I didn't give the journalist my real name. The fear survives!

Aren't co-incidences wonderful?

This very day, there's an article in The Times here in the UK, about the British Public School system (Boarding School) and it's harmful effects on the minds of the very young children who are sent away from home to these institutions. I was interviewed for the article, and the photograph that heads the page is of me at the age of ten, or possibly eleven. I didn't give the journalist my real name. The fear survives!

Bruin:

Is that little adorable kid in a green jacket, looking fairly unhappy with a non-tightened tie, really you? Or is the picture a different one only found inside the article? I can't get into that becasue of my relucatnce to part with a pound note.

C