X-Men superhero set for same sex wedding

Camy

Marvel comic X-Men is to feature its first same sex wedding after gay character Northstar's marriage proposal to his boyfriend.

The story begins in the latest issue, Astonishing X-Men #50, which went on sale this week.

The comic sees Jean-Paul Beaubier - whose alter-ego Northstar can move at superhuman speeds - popping the question to Kyle Jinadu.

Their wedding will be featured in the next issue, due out on 20 June.

Read the rest

Awesome, Dude!

I still think the scene in X-Men 2, with the boy's reaction to his wings, and his family's reaction, one of the most telling metaphors I've seen. (Ouch, too.)

Fine by me if two superheroes, toon or manga, are gay and get married. Congratulations, guys!

I agree with Blue: I thought that scene in X Men 2 was one of the most powerful gay allegories I've ever seen. It was not accidental: that was included deliberately by director Brian Singer. Incredible to realize that the movie came out 9 years ago!

Marvel comic X-Men is to feature its first same sex wedding after gay character Northstar's marriage proposal to his boyfriend.

The story begins in the latest issue, Astonishing X-Men #50, which went on sale this week.

The comic sees Jean-Paul Beaubier - whose alter-ego Northstar can move at superhuman speeds - popping the question to Kyle Jinadu.

Their wedding will be featured in the next issue, due out on 20 June.

To be followed directly by their honeymoon? That woudl be the way to sell comics.

C

I can't help but wonder what my dear mother would have thought about a superhero marrying a same sex partner.

A visit to what it was like for people from say !900 to 1965, would make an interesting story. I'd think it would work best from a gay man telling the story of his parents and grandparents as he grew up.

If ever there was a setting for a Gone With The Gay Wind, I think that would be an ideal backdrop. The mix of cultures with WWII, civil liberties, and closeted attitudes offers a wealth of scenarios.

Des, I think you're on to something there. WWI and WWII and the rise of totalitarian powers versus the struggles for freedom, democracy, civil rights, highlight the irony of how being gay was treated in each of those, democratic or non-democratic.

Yet...It looks like there's a change in opinion in a sizable portion of the under-30 population. There's so far to go, but there *is* improvement.

I think I need to pull out X-Men 2 and rewatch. That scene got to me, but it has so much packed in there. You know, it would've made a powerful short film in itself.

I also wonder what a more positive scene would be, as counterpoint, juxtaposed against it. Or maybe the scene as is tells us what we need to know.

Hmm... Anyway, what does one get for a wedding gift for the gay superhero couple? They already have those sexy costumes....