Sprout by Dale Peck

Sprout Bradford has a secret. It’s not what you think—he’ll tell you he’s gay. He’ll tell you about his dad’s drinking and his mother’s death. The green fingerprints everywhere tell you when he last dyed his hair. But neither the reader nor Sprout are prepared for what happens when Sprout suddenly finds he’s had a more profound effect on the lives around him than he ever thought possible. Sprout is both hilarious and gripping; a story of one boy at odds with the expected.

I just finished reading this on my Kindle app. I'm not sure how I stumbled upon it, but I'm glad I did. I loved this book! The characters are somewhat eccentric but realistic and well-developed. The story is a roller coaster of emotions. If you get a chance, read this. You won't be disappointed.

I apologize if my "review" is not very informative or insightful. I'm not accustomed to reviewing stories or books. :redface:

I just checked and I have Sprout on my Kindle. I've moved it up to the top of my To-Read list based on your review, Eric. Thanks.

Colin :icon_geek:

On the suggestion here, and the reviews I have read on some of the other Dale Peck books, I bought the Kindle version of Sprout around noon, only two hours ago, and I am already at page 65. Crap, I hate it when I find an author that won't let go of my imagination, especially when I have my own work to mind.

This is a book you can fall into right away, and I have. The term "wicked imagination" must follow Mr. Peck around wherever he goes. It isn't just the story line but the presentation that grabs the reader. This is one of those "if only I could write like this" books. The emotional moments whip past surrounded with such absurdly fresh humor I have gone back several times just to review an entire sequence.

And characters...wow. If any of these story characters are based upon real people then Mr. Peck must have selected them from a list of the really outrageous crazies he knows. But he fleshes them out with his wit and leaves his main character intact throughout. Can you tell, I like what I am reading.

Put this book on your yes list. It may be three years old by now and that is probably why the title sounds familiar. Well worth the five dollar investment from Amazon. Dale Peck gets a B+ from me and I still have 200 some pages to go. So if you don't mind...I am going back to Kansas.

All I can say is that I hate you guys. My 'to read list' has grown out of so much proportion with all of your great reviews that I may die before I get to read what I want and need to read.

Priorities...I must keep priorities in mind.