New Story

I have a new story brewing in my mind and it's scaring me...a lot. It's been on my mind for months, and I keep finding reasons why the story works. I listen to SPA on satellite radio (especially Bruce Mitchell) a lot, and the music has directed me to precisely the emotions that I want to express in this story. I'm not scared about the story as it needs to be told, but I'm scared about my abilities to write it the way it needs to be told.

I'm sure that all of you have had self doubts about your abilities, as it's human nature to self doubt. But... I guess I'm feeling a sort of calling to write this story...my second novel. I have two novels under development that will be put aside for this one.

This story will be emotional...and uplifting.

I'm reminded of a line from a film called Finding Forester when Sean Connery told his young student when asked what he's doing, he responded with, I'm writing. I need to just write.

Who's Spa? Is this a channel on Sirius Radio? I'm confused.

I usually try to listen to non-vocal music, jazz or classical, when I try to write. It's usually (but not always) less intrusive for me. I agree that satellite or internet radio, when it has a minimum of interruptions, can be a godsend to writers.

I sometimes find inspiration for a story from a song, but the flow of words definitely comes from non-vocal music, for me.

The strange thing is that the resulting story might have nothing to do with the music at all.

My best wishes to you Richard.