VOTE

Merkin

All four of us use Vote by Mail Ballots. We mailed our ballots about three weeks ago, and they were received on October 20. Vote by Mail makes the process a lot easier. No problems parking, no standing in lines at the polling place, no worries about weather. And we get to vote early and can confirm that our ballot was received.

Colin :icon_geek:

My latest op-ed on voting:

Left or Right.

It is commonly thought that the media should be even-handed when it comes to political comment, especially during an election.

Why this expectation survives is anyone’s guess. Perhaps it is a left over from more civil times, but given the disrespect seen in recent history, I doubt it.

It is fair to point out that the conservative view of preserving all that has proven to be of value to human society should be encouraged in our cultures. Such preservation of past cultural foundations should accompany the enlightened progression of our attempt to build innovative societies that still maintain cultural riches of the past. But restricting the future with attitudes that limit human freedom is unacceptable.

Appreciation of cultural diversity still escapes many people, along with acceptance of the ethnic and genetic differences that comprise human individuals. There really is no excuse to police the bedrooms of consenting adults, whatever their sexual orientation. Not granting human equality rights is another shortcoming of limiting attitudes.

Whilst both Presidential candidates and their parties appear to promise the world, it becomes incumbent on the voters to inquire as to what kind of world is being promised. It is imperative in a democracy that after the election the people remind the legislators of election promises. It’s no use electing a representative and then abandoning them to the corruption of government and commerce. Progressive issues need to be pursed even after the politicians have been elected; corrupt ideals and laws need to be exposed.

Following this line of thought, for supporting those politicians who fight for democracy, human rights, hope and change for a better economy and social conditions, it becomes apparent that voting for the current Rightwing candidates will fall short of such an objective.

The only way to restore a measure of equilibrium to Congress is to vote for the incumbent President Obama, with demands that he listens to the people who clamour for his actions to match his rhetoric.

The Romney/Ryan campaign has shown no ability to consider the effect of their economic measures upon the social needs and welfare of the people. Indeed, they only show misrepresentations of quality of life as ‘having a job’, completely ignoring love, justice, and equality as having any validity whatsoever.

How then, can the people support those who promise a truly better world?

Electing and supporting President Obama is only half the action you need to take.

Should Romney be elected President, all is not lost if the Congress is dominantly Democrat.

However regardless of who is elected President, the principles of the Constitution must be upheld in the House and the Senate, and for that to happen right now, the Democrats need to be in the majority.

It would be much better if Congress has President Obama as its stabilising influence; the extremists have pulled the Republicans too far to the right to be effective, and the Romney leadership is offering nothing more than a sell-off of a rich and great nation.

It doesn’t have to be like that. Vote Democrat.

All four of us use Vote by Mail Ballots. We mailed our ballots about three weeks ago, and they were received on October 20. Vote by Mail makes the process a lot easier. No problems parking, no standing in lines at the polling place, no worries about weather. And we get to vote early and can confirm that our ballot was received.

As usual, Colin is ahead of his time. I did the same thing this year, and found I no longer paid any attention at all to all the ads that used to be interesting. Now, I could simply ignore them.

FREEDOM!

I voted a week ago. It was wonderful!

C

I tried to take advantage of early voting, but in a county with more than half-a-million people, the Republican-dominated election board in my city provided only one location. Apparently, Democrats tend to take advantage of early voting more than Republicans, a fact not lost on the Republican election officials in my state, as well as in Ohio and Florida, where attempts have been made to restrict early voting or make it more difficult.Because I work the overnight shift and leave work at 6 AM, I shall immediately head over to my precinct to await the opening at 7 AM, where I shall proudly vote Democratic. I fear a conservative majority on the Supreme Court should Romney win, as well as the neo-conservatives who advise Romney on foreign policy sending more young American heroes into harms way.

I have email friends in Britain, Germany, Canada, and New Zealand and, because American politics have a profound effect on life in the rest of the world, they each tell me they and everyone they know are hoping for the reelection of President Obama.

I have email friends in Britain, Germany, Canada, and New Zealand and, because American politics have a profound effect on life in the rest of the world, they each tell me they and everyone they know are hoping for the reelection of President Obama.

Me too.

6:20 Central time- Romney has an early lead, but Republicans always lead early in the evening. Romney internals however show him losing Ohio by 5%! CNN reports Virginia even early, which is bad news for Romney. Of course, I remember in 2004 when John Kerry was looking good early, so keep holding your breath!

As you all know by now, Obama was reelected President of the United States with 303 electoral votes (332 if he wins Florida as expected; the Florida count won't be complete until Wednesday). 270 electoral votes are required to win the Presidential election.

Overall, a good election cycle for LGBT Americans. Gay marriage winners in Maine, Maryland and Minnesota, gay candidates elected to public office in many places, and the continuing support of President Obama.

The Right Wingnuts, Evangelicals and Tea Party folks seem to be stunned at the moment. All that work, all that money for naught. Sorry kids, no Disney World this year, Daddy gave all our vacation money to some Mormon candidate. But they will awaken from that hangover, drink some more sacred wine, and head back to the streets. By Christmas I expect to see more television ads from the conservative voices screaming about something irrelevant.

Four more years, although I expect to see the political noise for 2016 start up by summer. But in case you miss all the fun of the past year, we still have a chance of a Supreme Court nomination in this term. The American circus never closes. The same tired acts, the same dull elephants. Step right up, folks.

Very amusing Chris, but for the moment I will revel and celebrate the win for a more progressive circus; although, I expect the right-wing- masters will shortly 'send in the clowns'.