CNN Calls Ohio, Obama wins

JamesSavik

Well it didn't start with him but I digress :p , I posted on the election night post, I hope others read it, I truly hope as a nation and opposing sides we can try to work together and not be so hateful.

The right side lost.

President Obama and the Democrats must now work towards the mid-term election to regain control of the House, and keeping or increasing the Democrat numbers in the Senate.

We must be very active in ensuring the Democrats' support for human rights outlives any rightwing activity to marginalize LGBTQ equality rights.

Very interesting list of reasons as to why Romney lost, courtesy of CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2...tml?hpt=hp_t1_5

My opinion: I think enough voters felt that Romney was so disconnected from average people that they had to vote for Obama. I think Romney did not do enough to overcome his image of being a very privileged, wealthy, arrogant white guy. His refusal to give up more of his tax records did not help.

Hell, I took David Letterman's advice and voted for the other guy because Romney wouldn't go on Letterman's talk show.

I wouldn't have gone on that smart ass Lettermen's show either.

Let's don't be disingenuous. There's nothing a republican with this platform could have done to get gay votes.

If they look at their margins in the swing states and the 12 to 24 millions gay votes that they just blew off, they need to rethink allowing fringe groups like the AFA/FRC and candidates like Bachmann and Scrotorum to write their platform.

I wouldn't have gone on that smart ass Lettermen's show either.

Let's don't be disingenuous. There's nothing a republican with this platform could have done to get gay votes.

If they look at their margins in the swing states and the 12 to 24 millions gay votes that they just blew off, they need to rethink allowing fringe groups like the AFA/FRC and candidates like Bachmann and Scrotorum to write their platform.

I agree, but think just as big an issue for them is to figure out what to do about the Hispanic vote. Hispanics reportedly are upset about our immigration policies. They favor allowing a path to citizenship for immigrants, and the Republican party is against that. That's an issue that caused the party huge problems now, problems that will grow as the Hispanic population grows. And guess which population has the fastest rate of growth in this country now!

It isn't good politics to alienate two substantial voting blocs.

C

The sad thing is the vast number of straight white people in the midwest, many of whom voted for Romney. Now, they feel very disenfranchised, isolated, and cast aside, like they have no leaders. People gotta learn that we have to work together, even with people who are different from us, and find the things we have in common.

CNN is reporting that the three biggest groups that made the difference in the election were young voters (under 25), Latino voters, and Black voters, who participated in much larger numbers than expected. I'm just glad it wasn't a "subtle" difference in numbers, so that the Repubs couldn't cry foul and demand a recount (if not a Supreme Court case). I'm still angry about the whole Bush vs. Gore deal...

It's not just the mid-west. There was a ugly riot at Ole Miss Tuesday night when the election was called for Obama: almost fifty years to the day after the riots touched off by James Meridith's admission.

People are scared. There's so much economic uncertainty. If this never ending recession turns into a depression, things are going to get ugly.