The Sad Boy by Cole Parker

Another gem by Cole Parker. I always like stories written  in Multiple Viewpoint First Person, as it lets the reader see inside distinct characters. The hard part for a writer is ensuring each character comes across as a different human being, with different values, thoughts, motivations, ideas, preferences, and experiences. That's hard! Cole did this well. The detective in middle school, of course, immediately brought this meme to mind:

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.png

But that's fine, I just rolled with it, and it was worth it. My only quibble is that it ended too soon! I want to see more of Caden's struggle's and development! Especially at a school run by Mrs. Barkley. This was just chapter one, right Cole?

• 4 months later...

I find I prefer Cole's stories in which his characters just face everyday life  rather than his thriller-genre stuff.  Both are excellent,   that's just my taste

But  seeing  international-spy-kid Jan pop up to mediate a difficult high school locker room situation was absolutely delightful. It would definitely be fun to see him pop up again sometime.