Adagio by Alan Dwight

A captivating intro to what feels like a poor gay boy makes rich, or at least makes a life for himself, story. Tyler, I'm presuming that is the name of the middle brother telling the story (I don't think the name is anywhere other than on the cover), has had a rather out of the ordinary, exceptional first love whom he very sadly lost. The writing flows easily off the page and there is not much I would criticise except the choice of cover (I dislike totally covers that disarm the imagination and play on attraction. This one makes the story appear like it's addressed to paedophiles) and the ancient gay story style of including info we don't need to be told. "Oh, of course I was still horny and I still jerked off..." That line has no place in the chapter and I can't understand why author's follow the sex in every chapter style from the turn of the century, we've moved on! Ignoring that, for me, obsolete manner of writing its a good, well told, opening chapter.

https://www.awesomedude.org/alan_dwight/adagio/adagio-01.htm

I haven't read anything from this author before, so I went into this story completely blind into this author's style and writing voice. I think Talo voiced his critique better than I could so I would say I agree with all his points. 

The one thing we disagree on, I did not find this a compelling opening chapter to a story I would like to continue. The chapter is about 1800 words, and it's more of a recap, there is no conflict, or even hint of a plot as to where this story is going. 

I googled the definition of Adagio, to move slowly. I would agree.

Maybe I give Chapter Two the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the author thought it prudent to recap the previous story for those that haven't read it. So I remain cautiously optimistic. 

J

Did either of you two read the story to which this is a sequel?  I think you'd benefit from that.   Some of the slowness here is depression.  It really isn't fair to criticize without having read where this is coming from.

Alan is a very skilled writer.  Read the prequel and see if you aren't moved.

C

@Cole Parker you asked, "Did either of you two read the story to which this is a sequel?" No, I didn't, but I don't think either that I was over critical with this sequel, "there is not much I would criticise," was a point I made. As to reading the first book, would I also have to read the other connected story, A Two-part Intervention? 

It's twelve years since those stories were written and the author has improved a bit! I looked at Unfinished Symphony, prologue and first chapter. Concerning the story plot I could easily imagine what happens without reading the book. As for the writing style it is very much 2012 telling a story. It did not grab me at all and quite frankly is not a story I would read. Certainly the tale is heart rending, but the writing style of telling that tale is like reading someone's school essay. I won't say more because it is rather unfair to criticise without having read.

@Jason Rimbaud makes, in my opiniin, fair points, although we disagree on the story being compelling. It was the opening paragraph that grabbed me, in particular the first sentence: "Grandma was our saviour." From those four words I was intrigued. @Jason Rimbaud also says, "there is no conflict," true, "or even hint of a plot," also true. However, I could guess the plot, "a poor gay boy makes rich, or at least makes a life for himself." If I were to go further, the two well off (gay?) men for whom Tyler does the garden, help him, maybe get to college, where he meets someone new and falls in love for a second time. The story taking us through his struggle to make a life for himself, some set backs, his haunting memories of his first love and an eventual triumph and happy ending. I might even hazard there is an epilogue, unless our author has dramatically changed style!

PS. @Jason Rimbaud your signature blog link needs updating (404 page error).

22 hours ago, Talo Segura said:

I won't say more because it is rather unfair to criticise without having read.

Wise advice I hope you'll follow in future. Talo, all you've done with your second post is dig yourself a deeper hole.

To answer your question, you wouldn't need to also read A Two Part Invention. The only thing the two stories have in common is that two of the characters appear in both stories.

Your whole topic leaves me wondering why you bothered. You admit this wasn't a story you would normally read, so why set yourself up for a fall by making uninformed comments in the first place?

47 minutes ago, Alien Son said:

Wise advice I hope you'll follow in future. Talo, all you've done with your second post is dig yourself a deeper hole.

To answer your question, you wouldn't need to also read A Two Part Invention. The only thing the two stories have in common is that two of the characters appear in both stories.

Your whole topic leaves me wondering why you bothered. You admit this wasn't a story you would normally read, so why set yourself up for a fall by making uninformed comments in the first place?

To clarify, I am reading Adagio, the story I commented on. It is Unfinished Symphony which I looked at vis-a-vis Cole's comment, "Did either of you two read the story to which this is a sequel?" and I didn't get further than the prologue and first chapter. My point, it isn't a pre-requisite to read the first book, in my opinion.

Talo, I want to apologise to you. My comments were harsh, and I regret that. I missed that in your second post you were referring to Unfinished Symphony.