Fifteen by Frederic

I've read good stories online, I've read some great stories. Those with sex in detail and those with imagination playing it's part. I've read fiction and honesty and those two things combined. Glimpses of life both real and invented or the two mixed together like some magic formula that leaves you guessing, wondering, and if the recipe is tasty, wanting more. I've read great descriptions and been shown fantastic places, ridden the waves as they crash on the shore and all the time there beside me were the heroes and I wanted them to win!

Then I read Fifteen by Frederic and it was a chance encounter like Aidan and Billy, the boys who live in those pages. It sounds wrong to say this is a literary masterpiece, but the descriptions and references are almost overwhelming. It's a poem to life and first love and sex, but more life and reflection that wasn't there at the time, but arrived later like a guest to dinner whose place was set, but you were never certain if they would be there. I was never certain I'd find such a gem in the oceans that are online stories, but I did, and I am full of admiration. 

Whitman was a poet and so is Frederic, his descriptions are sublime, I don't know what to do.  I can't stand on the sidewalk and wait for someone to notice me. I can't take a chance that Billy's mom will call out to invite me in for cookies and a chat. Aidan is intoxicated, bowled over, swept towards the shore or maybe out to sea. And what does he do? So I open the gate to the back yard, walk the flagstone path through gardens in mid-May splendor, to the vine-covered mound where the shelter is. And wait, like an orphan at the end of time.

And like Aidan as if I too, the lone, lonely, reader were left waiting, I read on and on consumed by wanting to know and caressed by the words and the hints and all those little things that make this writing special. 

https://www.awesomedude.org/frederic/fifteen/fifteen_chapters.htm#i_am_fifteen_

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Rutabaga said:

Much discussion about this story in the earlier thread here.

R

This earlier thread is well worth revisiting, and at the end of it we get Frederic's own comments on voice.