Creative writing based on science

Here is a link to a thoughtful article on the influence of science fiction. I think also it is an inspiration for the way we approach our writing in whatever genre we find our muse taking us.

This seems worthwhile to me as a counter to the mythical end of days brigade; especially when it points to ‘thoughtful optimism’, and science based creativity.

It's worth reading:
As an aside but very relevant here in Australia, our new conservative government has failed to appoint a minister for science. See here for details: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-17/australia-needs-a-strategic-approach-to-the/4964362

My reply to the article:

Don't expect writers to become propagandists. There's a reason for the dystopian view: we are still squabbling about the same issues that were on the table 50 years ago when we had big imaginations. In the US race relations have taken a bad turn. The economy is intermittently bad to rotten, our politicians are still squabbling over abortion, gays, guns, illegal immigration and we might just have the most corrupt and delusional Presidential administration in our history.

It's difficult to be optimistic when you see the idiots in charge destroying the economy and the country and not solving a damned thing.

I agree James, that it is indeed difficult to be optimistic amongst the idiots. Our newly elected Prime Minister just failed to appoint a science minister to his cabinet.

I think that we can however, be optimistic in our stories, pointing to possibilities whilst being somewhat anxious about alternative probabilities. This does not mean that we should be propagandists, but rather explorers; visionaries, if you like, based on scientific evidence, rather then Bronze Age prophets of myth.

(I'd add naïve to delusional)..

...The economy is intermittently bad to rotten, our politicians are still squabbling over abortion, gays, guns, illegal immigration and we might just have the most corrupt and delusional Presidential administration in our history.

Huh? This is the most corrupt Presidential administration in our history? Really? I must have been sleeping. I haven't seen that at all. 'Misguided', sure. Somewhat ineffective, OK. Not the greatest leader we've ever had in that office: who can argue that? But most corrupt? Where is he getting that?

C

I don't see Obama as being delusional. I see him doing the best he can in a world gone mad.

Cameron's the delusional one: he thinks the U.K. is still a global power. Yep, austerity at home while he hands out 'AID' to 3rd world despots who salt it away in Switzerland and buy more Ferraris as their people starve.

I don't think Science Fiction can help, but Fantasy might if we can cover the planet in 'soon it'll all be better' pixie dust.

I must say that I was and still am an Obama fan. He is far preferable to the alternatives, and even though I think he has done great things for LGBTQ human rights for which I most admire him, I think there are problems in the political environment of the Executive Branch that inhibit his ability to realise his objectives for progress.

It can't be easy for him, especially with so many religious extremists being so vocal on all his efforts, let alone the international pressures of office.

It's not a job I would want.