Can I only have one?

Guest Dabeagle

Guest Dabeagle

This selection is just awesome - but I'm torn. I think the Titanic one is my favorite, just for the elegance of it. But the first Nemo one is so shipshape! The other Nem is pretty cool too - and the Tomb Raider one...I think the only one I didn't really like was the King Kong one - what do you think?

I agree Camy. And Pecman, that's a great looking cinema.

As for the $6 million theatre, I'd think that Pecman and I could design a whole bloody cinema including the walls for that, with an orchestra pit.

After reading the information on the Kipnis system at the link Camy provides above, I have to admit the astonishing achievement of the system.

Yet, for all its impressive technology there seems to be a lack of drama in the presentation. Old time cinema palaces had a magic that came from the massive and ornate architecture and curtains which seduced the audience, with expectation of the movie, as a dramatic event in itself. This was the human element that every projectionist worthy of the title, gave to his audience.

The real objective of the Kipnis technology is not more speakers, amplifiers and screens, but is instead, direct connection from the storage processors to the human brain. When that is possible then we will be unable to tell the difference from reality, and it will be much cheaper. Philosophically however, we may not want that Borg-like interface, especially if we evolve to understand our own interrelationship with the actual cosmos in which we live.

As long as we don't mistake the technology for reality, then the visits to the worlds of our dreams and creations will serve us well...like reading a good book.

Good Lord, I half expect a full production of Verdi's Aida to burst forth.

Those Theo Kalomirakis theatres are a testament to the public's desire for ornate surrounds with their movies.

We should never have allowed the destruction of the Cinema palaces.

However if I was going to get one, it would be the one you posted before, Pecman, for your Malibu beach house with the infinity pool.

However if I was going to get one, it would be the one you posted before, Pecman, for your Malibu beach house with the infinity pool.

You can hang out at the theater; I'm hanging out with my personal assistants by the pool.

You can hang out at the theater; I'm hanging out with my personal assistants by the pool.

At my age, a darkened theatre is more likely to provide me with the benefits of assistance from a personal assistant.

At my age, a darkened theatre is more likely to provide me with the benefits of assistance from a personal assistant.

You haven't seen my assistants.

The American Powerball just rolled over to $171M, so Des, if I win, I'll be sure to throw in a $100,000 home theater for you as well.

The American Powerball just rolled over to $171M, so Des, if I win, I'll be sure to throw in a $100,000 home theater for you as well.

As the chairs cost about $15,000 each (falls over backwards), I'd up the budget a little.

As the chairs cost about $15,000 each (falls over backwards), I'd up the budget a little.

No, no -- the normal rocking chair seats with cupholders are less than $800 each:

odeonplus-1.jpg

20 seats would be $16K, which is trivial. Of course, the Imax Home Theater pictured above is $1,000,000+, with about $200K just going for the projector and $200K going for the room itself, and the rest for decor, screen, wiring, acoustics, and so on.

That's back out at the infinity pool, near the beach.

Exactly what I was thinking when I typed that reply. Unfortunately, I can only go out at night when the sun has gone down :icon10: , whereas, in the darkened theatre, the sons (of the cinema) can go down all the time. :smile:

Exactly what I was thinking when I typed that reply. Unfortunately, I can only go out at night when the sun has gone down :icon10: , whereas, in the darkened theatre, the sons (of the cinema) can go down all the time. :smile:

We'll get you an umbrella for some shade. (De Lotto done rolled over -- now up to $170M.)