Ubuntu's 'One' cloud storage closes

Camy

Ubuntu One, Canonical's cloud storage, is closing down.

Jane Silber, Canonical's CEO wrote in the company blog, "The free storage wars aren’t a sustainable place for us to be, particularly with other services now regularly offering 25GB-50GB free storage. If we offer a service, we want it to compete on a global scale, and for Ubuntu One to continue to do that would require more investment than we are willing to make. We choose instead to invest in making the absolute best, open platform and to highlight the best of our partners’ services and content."

So, as of April 2, 2014, "It will no longer be possible to purchase storage or music from the Ubuntu One store. The Ubuntu One file services will not be included in the upcoming Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release, and the Ubuntu One apps in older versions of Ubuntu (and in the Ubuntu, Google, and Apple stores) will be updated appropriately. The current services will be unavailable after 1 June 2014; user content will remain available for download until 31 July, at which time it will be deleted."

It's a pity as Ubuntu is still - imo - the best linux distro around.

Canonical Blog here

ZDNet comment here

This is one flaw with Cloud storage: what if the cloud evaporates?

On the other hand: I just bought a new Mac last week, and damned if it didn't know all my favorite websites, bring over a bunch of files, and do all kinds of stuff saving me time... because it was all in the Cloud. So there are some benefits, assuming Apple doesn't go bankrupt anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...