How to Talk to Your Kids About Michael Sam

E.J.

Reminds me of the conversation between a father and his son.

"Sit down son, I need to have a talk with you about (ahem) sex!"

"Sure Dad, what did you want to know?"

You would think people would have a bigger issue with the abusive sex/rape, DUIs, domestic violence and felonies that so many NFL players commit.

A gay guy is actually kinda tame in comparison.

You would think people would have a bigger issue with the abusive sex/rape, DUIs, domestic violence and felonies that so many NFL players commit.

A gay guy is actually kinda tame in comparison.

"But... but... the other players might be afraid he'd be looking at them!" Actually, they probably should be afraid that he isn't looking at them because there's not that much there to see. (It's all those steroids.) And besides, Michael Sam already has a boyfriend that he can look at and see and do a lot more with.

Colin :icon_geek:

• 3 months later...

I hope he makes the team. Most picks taken that late don't. Yet I think he was the defensive player of the year in their conference. He has a good chance.

Outsports is reporting that the Rams cut him from the squad. He didn't make the 53 player roster. Sam can be picked up by any of the other teams in the league during the next 24 hours or he may play in the Rams practice squad.

Such a shame - I think he deserves a place in pro football.

http://www.outsports.com/2014/8/30/6086415/michael-sam-cut-by-st-louis-rams

That's a real shame, but I'll bet he'll catch on with some team. The Rams have a great defensive 7; it's too bad they were the team to draft him. But some teams lack linebacker depth, which I'm sure is where he'd play as he isn't bing enough to be a lineman in that league.

There's always the Arena league, and the CFL.

C

As he was around for the last cut, that says a lot.

Pro teams keep a "practice squad" which are potential players that teams go to when they have injuries.

My understanding is that Sam is sticking around with the Rams organization.

He's probably just a knee injury away from a roster spot.

He very likely wouldn't find too many issues with his sexuality if he came here to Canada to play in the CFL. One of the most popular players in the league, an MVP running back who has a breakfast cereal named after him, has two moms. He gave a shout-out to them when being interviewed after the last game, a win where he got 173 rushing yards, and the announcer and studio guys didn't bat an eye. He often does community support work for lgbt causes.

Different league though, different game, and different rules. Different skill set. Some players thrive, others crash and burn.

The CFL: We're longer, we're wider, and our balls are bigger. (A short lived advertising campaign from the eighties, referring to the longer, wider field and the larger football. It was pulled after somebody complained. I thought it was hilarious.)