Humble Bundle Audio Books offer.

Camy

A heads up for those of us who like listening to audio books (DRM free).

For the next few days Humble Bundle are offering a 'pay what you want' deal on a bunch of audio books (value in excess of $700).

The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger

Strip Tease by Carl Hiaasen

Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris

If you pay $10 or more you get the following, too.

How Music Works by David Byrne (from Talking Heads)

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow

Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

They're also going to add more before the offer ends.

I bought in mainly to get Hollow World - an excellent SciFi/fantasy book, but Perfect storm and Fight Club should be good for a few road trips to Wales.

It's well worth checking out if you like audio books. The offer ends in 9 days - the 25th June.

I went for it. I've never bought or listened to an audio book before. I'm a fan of Cory Doctorow so I started with Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. I didn't have time to listen to more than about 2 minutes of the first chapter. I copied it to my tablet and I'll listen to it tomorrow on the way to work. For me it'll be an interesting experiment.

Colin :icon_geek:

I love audiobooks. My last commute before I retired was an hour each way and audiobooks saved my soul. Pay attention to who narrates/reads the text of whatever book you are thinking of listening to, and you soon will develop favorites. Frank Muller is my all-time favorite voice, absolutely convincing in his presentation of any writer's work. Often the reader will vary his voice tone and accent to portray different characters. It's almost as good as old-time radio drama. (Radio drama? Wot's that?)

I only wish, Camy, that I was in a position to be driving to Wales.

Isn't it strange how things catch your attention? James just wrote:

I only wish, Camy, that I was in a position to be driving to Wales.

And somehow the rhythm of those last three words just grabbed me. And so I wrote them down, and this eventuated:

Driving to Wales

Through mountains and vales

Ancient the stones:

Somber the tones

Warriors old

Fierce and bold

A sense of the past

Encroaching and vast

A different world

Crones faces burled

Old miners bent

Energies long spent

Modern day effacing

Ancient time’s tracing

Turning the page

From long ago age

Paving the way

This bright sunny day

To balance the scales

For driving to Wales

OK, it's silly and puerile and I'll never claim to be a poet. My point is how words or phrases or whatever capture your attention and lead you to your creative side.

Driving to Wales. It does have a lilt to it, doesn't it?

C

Cole, I know you don't make a claim to be a poet, but I think you can stop denying your poetic abilities. Driving to Wales is really quite wonderful, full of images and observations linking both past and present. I like it. Not silly or puerile at all.

Thanks. I'm a little embarrassed about it. Seems pretentious that I should write about a place I know little about. Most of what I've picked up comes from Mihangel's stories, and that certainly isn't a complete picture of a country.

C

There's lots of poets who have written about places they have never been. Heave, Hell, and the bedrooms of satisfied lovers, are three that come to mind.

Audio books are fantastic. I always liked them on days when I had long commutes in rush-hour traffic. I've read all the Harry Potter books three times, in three different forms of media: the first in hardback print; the second as audio books (American editions!); and the third as eBooks on the Kindle. Each one gave me a different feeling for and representation of the stories.

I also used audio books to help bridge the gaps on Stephen King's epic Dark Tower series (more than 3 million words), so I could read in print at home, then jump to the same chapter as audio when I was in the car or exercising. It's always embarrassing to be pumping iron with tears down your face because your favorite character just got killed in the novel. :omg: