Drive-in movie theaters

Some of the most fun I ever had was at a drive-in movie theater, and no, I will not discuss the why of that here. Perhaps some of you remember the details of your visits. Now I'm hoping Jackson is right and we do see a resurgence of the film venue (they always had the best root beer):

http://lights-camera-jackson.com/johnny-rockets-shoots-for-the-moon-with-drive-in-theaters-plan1.php

The detail I remember best is when a group of us went and three guys got in the trunk so they wouldn't have to pay. We let them out while cars were still coming in so they'd be lost in the crowd. When the movie started, a man rapped sharply on the window and told us to get out and never come again, that he didn't need sneaks like us there.

I was going to ask for my money back because I'd paid, but, I decided I didn't want him kicking in the side of the car, so left without saying a word.

Oh, wait: you wanted details of what went on in the back seat during the movie?

C

My first full-time job was as an assistant projectionist in a drive-in theatre.

I was just 17, and the stories about the back seat of the cars were matched only by the realities of what went on, and off.

My favourite was the couple who had done the deed and then fell asleep. After the show, the projectionist and I saw the lone car in the middle of the theatre and we went over to it and knocked on the window. The car appeared to be empty, when suddenly two figures sprang to life in the vehicle, very, very naked. I didn't know that you could drive a car with only one leg in your jeans.

Drive-in theatres were commonly known as "sin-bins."

It was easy to tell when the occupants were trying to avoid a child as the cars would rock backwards and forwards.

When the drive-ins eventually closed due to TV (we have one left here,) I think the birth-rate halved as each theatre went out of business.

As a patron, my most wonderful experience was during the screening of 2001; A space Odyssey. I would go anywhere to watch the movie, and on this occasion when the shuttle was headed towards the moon, a plane took off from the nearby Adelaide airport and suddenly appeared above the giant screen, lit by, and seemingly headed towards the real moon, in imitation of the scene on the screen.

The scene and irony was not lost on the audience which quickly sounded their cars' horns. Having been inspired, by the scene, they then sounded their horns, "beep-beep" in time with the Blue Danube waltz playing on the soundtrack

Whoever said that drive-ns had no sense of audience participation never experienced moments like these.