A true story?

A true story, honest!

There was a man who worked for the Post Office whose job was to process all the mail that had illegible addresses.
One day a letter came, addressed in a shaky handwriting to God, with no actual address. He thought he should open it to see what it was about.
The letter read:

Dear God,
I am an 83 year old widow, living on a very small pension.

Yesterday, someone stole my purse. It had $100 in it, which was all the money I had until my next pension payment.

Next Thursday is Thanksgiving, and I had invited two of my friends over for dinner.
Without that money, I have nothing to buy food with, have no family to turn to, and you are my only hope...

Can you please help me?
Sincerely,
Edna
The postal worker was touched. He showed the letter to all the other workers. Each one dug into his or her wallet and came up with a few dollars.

By the time he made the rounds, he had collected $96, which they put into an envelope and sent to the woman.

The rest of the day, all the workers felt a warm glow thinking of Edna and the dinner she would be able to share with her friends. Thanksgiving came and went.

A few days later, another letter came from the same old lady to God.

All the workers gathered around while the letter was opened.

It read:

Dear God,
How can I ever thank you enough for what you did for me?
Because of your gift of love, I was able to fix a glorious dinner for my friends.

We had a very nice day , and I told my friends of your wonderful gift.

By the way, there was $4 missing.

I think it might have been those bastards at the post office!
Sincerely,

Edna

Yes, very amusing…Bart (former postal worker)

BTW, none of us would have opened the first letter since it's against the law. And yes, I do know it was a joke.

If you want a truly funny joke, at least to me, here is one. And this really is true.

Whenever a letter is returned unopened to the post office it requires an official 'return to sender' endorsement which is supposed to give the reason for return. Options available are refused, moved address unknown, deceased, forwarding expired, and no such address.

Several times per week, for a couple of years, we were at a loss as to how to endorse it when mail for patients was returned to us by the local hospital. The reason for that was a wit in their mailroom was sending it back to us with inked comments like "checked out, no longer with us, moved on, gone to a better place".