De Profundis

Nigel Gordon

For any of you who can access the BBC IPlayer - that is you are inside the UK or have a VPN available that will give you a UK location, there is a remarkable reading of Oscar Wilde's 'De Profundis' on the BBC Radio 4 website. I have read this piece, the last thing that Wilde wrote, a number of times and have always found it a very moving piece of writing. However, hearing it spoken had a much bigger impact on me. I would recommend anybody who can listen to it to listen to it.

It may be one hundred years old but what it says today is just a true as what it said one hundred years ago. That is particularly true in what is says about prisoners.

You can find it here if you can get access:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07v00pm

I am in the USA, with no VPN, etc., and had no trouble accessing it. As of today, the website says that it will be available for 25 days. I heard a little piece of it in the 1997 movie Wilde, so I will be sure to have some handkerchiefs on hand.

I am in the USA, with no VPN, etc., and had no trouble accessing it. As of today, the website says that it will be available for 25 days. I heard a little piece of it in the 1997 movie Wilde, so I will be sure to have some handkerchiefs on hand.

Apparently it has been put up with World Wide access. So anyone should be able to hear it. Just hurry up as it won't be there for that long. Yes, you do need you handkerchiefs!