The Acquittal, by jdonley75

vwl

Rarely do I find a story as good as The Acquittal

https://gayauthors.org/story/jdonley75/the-acquittal/

It is extremely well constructed with nice plot twists, has vivid characters, has moments of high emotion and is well written (but needing some editing, says I, the editor).

It is one story that can pull me away from my latest mystery writer--that being currently Kendra Elliott.

If you like the story, please let the author know and tell him or her that the recommendation came from Awesome Dude.

I thoroughly agree. Plus "The Aquittal" a perfect tale for this period of seclusion, for it will pull you in and swoop you up for 27 intense chapters, and then you realize the story is nowhere near over so you go on to part two, "The Empty Spaces Between Us" for 41 more  wonderful chapters.  A great read from a writer well worth following.

I have duel opinions about The Acquittal and its sequel, The Spaces Between Us.

It is rather fast paced, and has some endearing characters with a plot that mostly kept my attention, at least in the first story. But on the other hand, its filled with overused tropes that does get a bit old rather quickly for me. I won't get into them as it would definitely be spoilers, though I bet most of you would see them coming a mile away.  Its also partially set in Harrisburg Pennsylvania, my home town. But if you're from there, you know the author has never been there but that's not important. My main issue is a few chapters in once I started reading the second story where I lost the drive to continue to read. Though the author is definitely better than I'll ever be, I just couldn't go on and I walked away from the story.

I think if the author would have stopped when the first story ended, I would have a different opinion of this saga.

That being said, you won't be angry at yourself if you read this, it just wasn't for me.

J

I would love to read this story but find reading anything on Gay Authors impossible. Even on my iMac with at 27" monitor, the text is so small as to be hardly readable for me. I know I can increase the text size in the browser by using Command Shift + but at the maximum it gets too on Gay Authors, it is still to small for me to read easily and the formatting is crap. 

Do you know if the story has been posted anywhere else?

In Gay Authors there are two buttons A+ and A- they are in a bar at the top of each chapter. A+ increases the text size. The other buttons allow toggling between light and dark background and adding paragraph indents. If the text is tiny you probably have it set to A- so just hit A+ several times until it is big enough. 

In Gay Authors there are two buttons A+ and A- they are in a bar at the top of each chapter. A+ increases the text size. The other buttons allow toggling between light and dark background and adding paragraph indents. If the text is tiny you probably have it set to A- so just hit A+ several times until it is big enough. 
  • Yes but the formatting goes haywire making the text unreadable. Could only see half a line of text at a time then had to scroll right. The scroll left to see the start of the next line.
  •  

Nigel,

You say, "even on my iMac" so you have tried this on different computers? If yes, do both computers use the same browser/operating system? I can confirm the buttons work normally using Android and a Samsung browser. I suggest you log the problem in the HELP section of the forum. You need to state computer, operating system, and browser. They reply quite quickly. 

7 hours ago, Nigel Gordon said:
  • Yes but the formatting goes haywire making the text unreadable. Could only see half a line of text at a time then had to scroll right. The scroll left to see the start of the next line.
  •  

On my 27" iMac running OS Mojave it works just as Talo says. The text gets larger, but the area in which it appears doesn't, so no horizontal scrolling is necessary. Same on both Safari and Firefox, and also works this way on iPad/Safari.

text.jpg