Dan Kirk

One of my all time favorite series of stories is the product of Dan Kirk. In particular, I find myself fascinated by the Do Over, Do Over Redux, Doing It Right, and Lets Do It series. The last story is still in production, but the intricate web Dan has woven, taking different viewpoints and creating new histories, and making them into a near seamless whole is truly awesome. He manages to drag one from one perspective to another, willingly, making it feel like you yourself are reliving the past in a different body. The stories make you hope that reincarnation works something like this; that we can come back and do better for ourselves and our loved ones.

• 4 weeks later...
The stories make you hope that reincarnation works something like this; that we can come back and do better for ourselves and our loved ones.

If I could remember my last life then I'm all for reincarnation. As it is I don't. I could have been Gandhi for all I know, or Pol Pot. You're born, you suffer (or have a trust fund), and then it's ave Maria.

Dan Kirk is a fine writer, though I suspect he has clones, with the amount of fiction he writes (yes, read jealousy). If you get the chance read his 'Mists of Fate'. 'tis brilliant!

Dan is one of my very favouritest writers. It helps that I find myself in sympathy with him morally and in that respect he's like Dewey: a man I would be proud to know and fight my way out of a bar with (note to self: you just ended a sentence with a preposition!)

But now, off topic, the whole reincarnation thing. I don't have a problem with it in fiction but it comes up in my life because I'm Buddhist. I apologise in advance for ranting but <rant>BUDDHISTS DON'T BELIEVE IN REINCARNATION</RANT>. Since we don't believe in eternal souls or essences or whatever, how could we? Buddhists believe in a different (and in my view rational) doctrine that's called karma and translated sometimes as re-birth which is a better equivalent.

Sorry guys, I realise this is off-topic here but just recently it has been coming up in my other life.

Normal transmission will be resumed soon.

Dan is one of my very favouritest writers. It helps that I find myself in sympathy with him morally and in that respect he's like Dewey: a man I would be proud to know and fight my way out of a bar with (note to self: you just ended a sentence with a preposition!)

But now, off topic, the whole reincarnation thing. I don't have a problem with it in fiction but it comes up in my life because I'm Buddhist. I apologise in advance for ranting but <rant>BUDDHISTS DON'T BELIEVE IN REINCARNATION</RANT>. Since we don't believe in eternal souls or essences or whatever, how could we? Buddhists believe in a different (and in my view rational) doctrine that's called karma and translated sometimes as re-birth which is a better equivalent.

Sorry guys, I realise this is off-topic here but just recently it has been coming up in my other life.

Normal transmission will be resumed soon.

No problem from me on you mentioning the Buddhist position. I have leanings to the Buddhist way of life and agree with you. It is in my view also, very rational.

I enjoyed Dan Kirk's "Dreams Of Humaity" series very much. Sort of like a gay Blade Runner meets Star Wars.

I don't mind being reborn or reincarnated, but is there a way to miss out on childhood and go direct to puberty? Just my thought. :smartass:

I spent nine years living and working in Buddhist countries and have to point out that I felt more comfortable there than I do here in the land of fundamentalist christianism (which has nothing to do with Christianity, by the way). I've never once known a Buddhist to spout the intolerant hate filled rhetoric practiced from many of our pulpits each and every Sunday. But this is wide of the point.

The real point is that Dan's work is interesting, engaging, and filled with characters you wish you actually knew. I've enjoyed the Do-Over stories, but think my actual favorite is Dreams of Humanity. If you enjoy Sci-Fi, this is well written quality fiction. Give it a shot.

Abraxas

I'm not sure I'd WANT someone helping me fight my way out of a bar if he was worrying about ending sentences with prepositions.<g>

Cole

Dreams of Humanity is excellent also, and I'm impatiently waiting for more. I also enjoyed The Bully, but sadly, it has stopped completely, while Dan is working mostly on two other stories. I'll wait for eagerly for more of whatever he wants to post.