The $100 laptop - News

Camy

Microsoft is to begin field tests of Windows XP working on the so-called $100 laptop, or XO, early in 2008.

It has not committed to offering XP on the XO laptop but hopes to release the operating system in the first half of 2008 if the trials succeed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7130637.stm

So then ... that'll put the price up from $100 to $??? and allow all kinds of viruses in. Neat, huh? :icon1:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7130637.stm

So then ... that'll put the price up from $100 to $??? and allow all kinds of viruses in. Neat, huh? :icon1:

Actually, the "US$100 XO laptop" has become the "US$200 XO laptop" in its initial non-XP release.

Colin :wav:

So let me get this right, these kids don't need proper clothing, shelter, and health care, but they need e-mail?

Wiskey-Tango-Foxtrot, Over.

The XO laptop is designed to be used in schools where technology and electric power are lacking. It's designed to be used to help students learn. Here's a link to information about the XO laptop, features, specs, and more: www.laptopgiving.org/en/explore.php

This is a great program: One laptop per child. Read about it. I think you'll see that this program deserves our support.

Colin :icon_geek:

I still feel like money would be better spent providing essential things like, oh I don't know... clean water, clean and nutritious food, medical supplies and long-term housing and shelter. But it?s a lot easier for the West to look at poor countries and think ?Oh, the poor things. Lets give them technology like ours and they?ll be just fine. Because we can?t really do anything about their living conditions?that?s what their governments are for, after all.?

Honestly, great, at least we?re doing something. And I see that there will be pay-offs if this works out?better education, which will lead to better employment opportunities, and thus better socio-economic status eventually. But One Laptop Per Child isn?t quite the same as No More Infant Deaths From Poverty and Poor Living Conditions.

I can?t help but think that these laptop are going to go to the children who can manage to go to schools with uniforms, and state-run academies, and not reach out to the children dying from dysentery, HIV, TB, or the many other illnesses that are rife in third-world countries.

...Also a loving family unit where the parents or guardians have enough of a job or jobs to support the family. I wonder who'd benefit more from the laptop, the kids or the parents? (The kids, frankly, so they don't grow up behind on how to use a computer.)

Those kids will need to know how to use a computer, for their futures, no two ways about it. But I think we'd agree with you, their most basic needs, need to be met first.

A $200-plus basic computer, or an $800-plus basic computer. I don't know, I've seen the economy laptops lately, and was not impressed. (I bought one and had to replace it. The keyboard broke on the first night.)

If a student is motivated and the teacher is motivated, the student will learn. That happens with textbooks or sometimes without, and with paper or slates and a blackboard. Nothing fancy. A school building in working condition and a safe environment.

I am all for a good program to provide kids with cheap laptops for school, so they can learn how the modern world works. But like Josiah, I wonder if the money would be more effectively used on a deeper level.

The needs are so many, though, that providing for any of them is a step forward. Even a band-aid protects against further damage, so the person can keep on.

Bottom line, I want to see kids able to make progress toward a better life. Any little bit that helps that is a good thing.

I am all for a good program to provide kids with cheap laptops for school, so they can learn how the modern world works. But like Josiah, I wonder if the money would be more effectively used on a deeper level.

You have to start somewhere. Let's not dis the XO concept because fresh food and clothes would be better. Of course they would. You can't write emails to your penpals if you're naked and starving.

What pisses me off is that it looks like Microsoft are going to make coin at the XO's expense.

Bad karma, Bill.

Bottom line, I want to see kids able to make progress toward a better life. Any little bit that helps that is a good thing.
YES!
  • 4 weeks later...