In The Mud Of Millmount Mound

Camy

'In The Mud Of Millmount Mound' amazes me.

Firstly, you have to read it aloud: you simply have to! And then you have to read it aloud, again, and probably again, too.

TR's poem tells the story of Johnnie and Connor: two best friends who go to their almost certain deaths at the siege of Drogheda, in September of 1649 (a very real event).

It's a tale of friendship, love, betrayal and redemption that TR has written in a kind of Irish cant. I found myself singing parts of it as I read it aloud.

Thoroughly recommended!

Camy

Firstly, you have to read it

Well, that's for sure, Camster. :icon1: The reader non-response to the reanimation of TR is underwhelming...and I'd therefore like to take this opportunity to thank Camy, Dude, Mum and Dad for encouraging me to learn to spell.

:icon1:

Kisses...

TR :icon1:

The reader non-response to the reanimation of TR is underwhelming...

(Flinching after determined prod in ribs by himself...)

I read this epic narrative poem and was awestruck. It's a powerful story and right up my street - and it's told in verse and in dialect. Don't think I would be brave enough even to attempt such a feat, let alone pull it off so successfully. A great offering from a talented guy.

If I mention that it reminds me of the hit song 'Two Little Boys' from 1969 (in the UK) by Rolf Harris of all people, it might be taken as an insult since Rolf's song, (a revival of an old music hall song from 1903 by Harry Lauder) is lightweight fluff by comparison. but the emotional punch comes from a similar place so I mean it sincerely.

Bruin

If I mention that it reminds me of the hit song 'Two Little Boys' from 1969 (in the UK) by Rolf Harris of all people, it might be taken as an insult since Rolf's song, (a revival of an old music hall song from 1903 by Harry Lauder) is lightweight fluff by comparison. but the emotional punch comes from a similar place so I mean it sincerely.

I know exactly what you mean, and agree. You'd probably have to be English to truly understand.

Camy

I know exactly what you mean, and agree. You'd probably have to be English to truly understand.

Camy

Ay, I'm as English as that Rolf bloke, he's from Perth!

I'd never heard of that soldiers song and I like it, it's sugary sad, but on looking into the singer, I found he'd done another song that even I'd heard of: Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport.

Mum liked it, had it on a 45 and would sometimes play it and other 'novelty' tunes for us kiddos.

Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport by Rolf Harris

I have to say, that song and the whole 'diggery-doo' thing sounds awfully gay. :lol:

Sorry, guys, I know you all love him. Just teasing.

I agree, the idea behind Two Little Boys is somewhere In the Mud of Millmount Mound but it's also in other TR tales. I think the underlying idea of children, particularly boys, caught in a grownup world of hate and horror is one that fascinates and moves me.

Grown-up children, the idea of what happens to all the darling little boys after they grow up, is an intriguing idea though not a popular one, I'd guess.

People like to mystify and mythologize childhood but there is a definite cut-off date in most people's minds, after which you are forever banished from Eden. Witness the bile and hate directed at former child-star Michael Jackson, now that he's (supposed to be) grown up. Peter Pan wouldn't fare well away from the Isle of Lost Boys, would he?

But when and how do we grow up, exactly?

I have two soldier boys a bit more like the Rolf song in Der Cowboy. That's about an American and a German soldier having a snowed-in interlude during one of the hairiest battles of WWII--what Americans call the Battle of the Bulge.

And DOG BOYS is about a young boy coming to grips with the reality behind his boyish wish to... 'run with the pack', join the world of grown men. It also features two boys who are friends.

So does Some Enchanted Evening.

:lol:...and you can read all those and other TR tales at Tragic Rabbit Stories

:lol: TR

I agree, the idea behind Two Little Boys is somewhere In the Mud of Millmount Mound but it's also in other TR tales. I think the underlying idea of children, particularly boys, caught in a grownup world of hate and horror is one that fascinates and moves me.

Grown-up children, the idea of what happens to all the darling little boys after they grow up, is an intriguing idea though not a popular one, I'd guess.

People like to mystify and mythologize childhood but there is a definite cut-off date in most people's minds, after which you are forever banished from Eden. Witness the bile and hate directed at former child-star Michael Jackson, now that he's (supposed to be) grown up. Peter Pan wouldn't fare well away from the Isle of Lost Boys, would he?

But when and how do we grow up, exactly?

I have two soldier boys a bit more like the Rolf song in Der Cowboy. That's about an American and a German soldier having a snowed-in interlude during one of the hairiest battles of WWII--what Americans call the Battle of the Bulge.

And DOG BOYS is about a young boy coming to grips with the reality behind his boyish wish to... 'run with the pack', join the world of grown men. It also features two boys who are friends.

So does Some Enchanted Evening.

:icon12:...and you can read all those and other TR tales at Tragic Rabbit Stories

:wink: TR

TR, a most excellent advertorial ... except you forgot to mention your latest venture: THIS! :wink:

TR, a most excellent advertorial ... except you forgot to mention your latest venture: THIS! :wink:

Quite right, Camy, though it's actually THIS! :hehe:

Also heard from Mum today, she actually liked the Millmount Mound story (!!) but she did correct my Ireland geography. Apparently there is no 'County Connacht', Connacht is one of four provinces and contains Counties Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo.

So much for me! :wink:

Kisses...

:icon12: TR