NEWS: British holidaymaker wins compensation because his hotel was full of Germans

I must concur with the judge. If an English citizen buys a holiday package from a UK baed company and the brochure is entire in English, one would expect there to be some level of English based activities.

I realize it may appear racist, but I don't think it is.

I don't speak German and I'd never book a holiday to a resort where English was not used. It would detract from my enjoyment considerably feeling excluded and unwelcome. I speak bit of some other languages and would gladly go to a resort (and have) in France where almost no English is spoken. But not being able to communicate is an issue WHEN IT IS NOT CLEARLY DISCLOSED.

One sentence "This resort conducts business primarily in German" would have fixed it.

The headline above is misleading: he didn't win because it was full of Germans. He won because of a failure to disclose what was being sold. The Germans were incidental.

I concur; although I might NOT if the language being used were to have been Greek. To some extent there should an expectation that the language of the host country might be used extensively (even if not stated in the brochure), but certainly not the language of a different country.

. . .one would expect there to be some level of English based activities.

I realize it may appear racist, but I don't think it is.

Did you intended to say 'NATIONALISTIC' rather than racist?

But I certailny agree with your point. And Trab's. If I were to book a vacation in, say, Romainia, I'd be sure to check that English was spoken by the staff, and my English wouldn't prevent me from enjoying the facility and activies. But if I booked through an agency, the literature they provided was in English, and they were recommending the site, I might even forget to check on those things; that's sort of the agency's job, I would suppose.

I guess the court so supposed, too.

C

I concur; although I might NOT if the language being used were to have been Greek. To some extent there should an expectation that the language of the host country might be used extensively (even if not stated in the brochure), but certainly not the language of a different country.

Yes, that goes without saying. If one goes to France, one must assume French will be spoken and the onus is upon yourself to make sure you're prepared. However, if one goes to France, one doesn't expect Hungarian to be the language spoken. (For example).