Does anyone here classify him or herself as 'Emo?' I'm not too sure what it means totally either. They tried here.

but then the Brits have a funny way of talking. :wav:

This one seems to better describe the craziness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7u9UnSJzJA...feature=channel

*putting on his wig and black eye liner.*

EMO stands for Emotionally Retarded and is an obnoxious social phenemenon that seems to have emerged from Goth roots. It is composed of mostly depressed rich kids who have everthing and don't know what to do with it.

Partially withdrawn

Should we ask Camy? He is only one letter away from emo. :wav:

(actually I like James' answer, I'm sure I could be emo if the pants were wrapped around something adorable. :hehe: )

Serious Answer:

"Emo" started out as Emotional Hardcore - a subgenre/movement that began in the DC hardcore/punk scene in the mid-80's, really breaking out during 1985 ("Revolution Summer").

Rather than the generic "I'll kick your ass!", "Fuck the establishment!", "Go vegan/straight edge!", or, occasionally, "Go straightedge, establishment, or I'll kick your ass! Fuck, I'm hardcore!" lyrics that dominated the hardcore genre at the time, Emotional Hardcore dealt more with philosophical questioning of one's self, sometimes in highly abstract terms.

Musically, Emotional Hardcore retained the energy and intensity of hardcore/punk music, but was more experimental, with live performances sometimes becoming almost jazz-like improvisations and shifts between fast, punky chugga-chugga chords and jangly arpeggios, playing with a loud/soft contrast. Same with vocals - bands would switch between whispery spoken-word readings and throat-shredding screams. The screaming was sometimes so intense that the vocalists would burst into tears on stage as their throats gave out and their voices cracked (this led to the stereotype among traditional hardcore kids that emo fans are wusses that cry all the time).

Emotional Hardcore fans did not (and do not) wear makeup. They're typically dancing/moshing so violently that it would smudge into their eyes and blind them, which is a terrible condition to be in when one is surrounded by thrashing, fist-swinging, high-kicking hardcore kids. Traditional "emo" hairstyles include black, greasy "Mr. Spock" style hair and shaved heads with beards.

Contrary to popular belief, Emo has nothing at all to do with...

-Sappy acoustic love songs

-Wuss-rock

-MTV

-The radio

-Malls

-Obsessing over exes

-Self-mutilation

-Fallout Boy/My Chemical Romance/Dashboard Confessional

For some old-school emo, try listening to...

-Rites of Spring

-Moss Icon

-Nation of Ulysses

-Cap'n Jazz

-Embrace

For modern (but authentic) emo, try...

-The Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower

-Die, Emperor! Die!

-Circle Takes the Square

-Vincent Price's Orphan-Powered Death Machine

-Transistor Transistor

Pro-tip: Avoid like hell anything pretending to be "Emo" that is played on the radio or television. It's usually some form of generic pop-rock, dressed up by bloodsucking record execs to exploit a sub-culture that never wanted anything to do with money or fame. Also, it sounds like crap. Kind of like the stuff they call "punk."

For the record: I'm not emo. I listen to some, now and then (mostly Moss Icon and Circle Takes the Square), but I don't dress emo or associate with the scene.

....That said, all you really need to know is the indisputable truth that emo guys are hot as hell. To quote the gay hardcore band, Limp Wrist:

Bi-hawks and studs are really hot.

Emo kids whine, but i'll give em a shot.

Tight-pants skinheads with bodies that stack.

This whole damn scene makes my eyes roll back.

(from the song "I Love Hardcore Boys, I Love Boys Hardcore")

This thread inspired me to dust off all my old Nation of Ulysses CDs - "13-Point Plan to Destroy America" and "Plays Pretty For Baby." Maaan, "The Sound of Jazz to Come" and "Look Out! Soul is Back!" are both better than I remembered.

Maybe I've got some emo tendencies, after all.

Now, where'd I leave my Cap'n Jazz anthology...?

This thread inspired me to dust off all my old Nation of Ulysses CDs - "13-Point Plan to Destroy America" and "Plays Pretty For Baby." Maaan, "The Sound of Jazz to Come" and "Look Out! Soul is Back!" are both better than I remembered.

Maybe I've got some emo tendencies, after all.

Now, where'd I leave my Cap'n Jazz anthology...?

Oh Great! Now you made me feel old, what are you talking about??? :hehe:

I doubt it. You've always seemed too stable and your poetry is too good to be EMO.

That's because you didn't know me back in my Emo phase. EC circa sixteen? Scene'd up in the worst way. Funny thing is, that's when I thought I was straight. Haha.

Oh Great! Now you made me feel old, what are you talking about??? :hehe:

Heh - this is exactly why my friends know better than to start a conversation about punk subgenres when I'm nearby.

Don't mind me. Just rambling about my newly rekindled appreciation for The N.o.U. -

NationUlysses.jpg

Any discussion of NoU inevitably comes to rest on their conceptual foundation: a relentlessly provocative (and entertaining) jumble of teenage rock & roll rebellion, leftist radicalism, anarchist punk polemics, and abstract intellectual rambling.

...In other words, real emo.

Oh BS! You're not EMO Ele, because you're not false. That's what I love and hate about you. And a lot of peeps my age wish they were so bold and introspective that they could speak their minds like you do, but are afraid. I think I'm one of them. The future is in your hands.

Do me a favor though. When you teach, don't forget Whitman. He really is up your bloodstream.

Do me a favor though. When you teach, don't forget Whitman. He really is up your bloodstream.

Ah, I couldn't forget that. Heh. During student teaching, I got into the habit of throwing random poetry quotes into instruction. A lot of Shelley, Hughes, and Dickinson, but Whitman came up a few times.

"That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse....

But don't contribute it right now, because the announcements are on, and we won't be able to hear you."