Blew It Again

Okay, so I couln't leave Tracy's remark regarding "ironic smile" alone.

Blew It Again

by: Steven Keiths ? September 2009

He stood and grabbed the handle to the rolling suitcase. He was the cutest freckled-face redhead I had ever seen. Sighing, a wave of sadness; a moment of regret; a feeling of misfortune for an opportunity lost, churned my stomach.

For two hours we sat in the busy San Francisco air terminal, furtively stealing glances at one another. Just as he would start to look my way, I averted my eyes as if something had caught my attention. He did much the same. Bending, feigning to tie my shoelaces so that I could steal a longer look, I noticed the pretty girl sitting next to him grab his hand and squeeze it. She looked related, a younger sister perhaps?at least I hoped so. He would pat her hand, turn to her, and smile. Oh, what beautiful smile it was?dimples and pearly white teeth.

Occasionally they chatted and giggled. She?d slap his shoulder. He?d look my way again.

Watching as he strolled down the terminal concourse, I had wished I had been brave enough to go over and say ?hi?. Slumping into my seat, I realized it was too late, he was catching a flight to England; I was headed to Cancun.

Just before they went around the corner, he turned, waved and smiled. The smile didn?t do much to relieve my sadness. It only fortified that I missed my chance. But, with an ironic smile I waved back. Hanging my head, rueful for the missed connection. I swore the next time someone caught my eye, no matter what, I was going to make myself at least say something.

?Dammit, dammit, dammit, you?re such a wuss.?

?Flight 723 for Cancun will?.,? The flight announcer stated, interrupting my self-abasing.

?Good, I caught you,? said a breathless voice. ?So, where do you live??

?Huh?? I asked, as I looked up into the beautiful blue eyes of my heart?s desire.

?Where do you live?? he repeated.

Sitting up and squaring my shoulders, ?Uh, Daly City.?

?Good,? he responded. He handed me a slip of paper. ?Had to see my sister to her gate.? Pointing toward the terminal pick up area, ?But gotta? run, my parents are waiting.?

Still breathing heavily, he gently touched my shoulder, then he dashed out to a waiting car. As he opened the car door, he turned, waved and smiled; he placed his thumb and pinky finger to the side of his face.

The ironic smile I had was replaced with a beaming one as I folded the slip of paper and put it into my shirt pocket. I nodded my head, yes.

Girl at home in Minnesota sighs, and says to herself "I wish someone would give me their number..."

Yes, Steven, that's the smile I was thinking of. Way to redeem the moment of irony here, reclaiming it for the future. Irony rarely gives way to hope. :-)

I understand being captivated by a phrase or idea, but for me it is an end in itself. A delightful glimpse into the creative personality here--Story and a bonus--so thank you and thanks again.

This is very good use of 15 or 20 minutes, Steven.

Thanks again to you, Bruin, it's your fault that it was my fault that Steven just had to write this thing.

Haha, if i'm guilty of something, I sure don't feel bad like I usually do. :lol:

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...