Grigor

Grigor

by Bruin Fisher

I love you, you know that, but I'm still not quite sure of your love for me. And I know I shouldn't be so insecure, but I can't help it. You're so uncommunicative.

It's so silly because I've had a lot of offers, and I could have been happy with a number of them. But I had to fall in love with you. I did, you know. I fell in love the first time I saw you. So tall, muscular, athletic, the big dark shape of you radiates energy and those doleful dark eyes just pierce my soul.

But Grigor, that first time when I took you home with me, you really worried me. You wouldn't look me in the eye, you behaved as though you didn't recognize that I was there. Oh, you were obviously pleased to be here, and you were no trouble at all, you fitted in straight away, but I wondered if you resented me in some way.

Well, we've come a long way together since then. You're a lot better than you were. I'll never know quite what they did to you before we met but you're gradually recovering and coming out of your shell, little by little. You still don't speak but you do at least listen when I talk. And you show emotion, you get excited with me about plans for the day, and when we do something I know you like I get the impression you're grateful. Small steps, but we're getting there.

You're keeping up your exercise regime but now I'm doing it with you, which is doing my health a lot of good. I've got more stamina now for the things we like doing together. And my shape is changing. I'll never have a shape like yours, of course, all sleek limbs and bulging muscles at thigh and shoulder, but I'm at least a little sleeker than I was, and I have you to thank for it. I hope you like the way I look, I know I'm not beautiful, not like you.

I love it when you come to me for a cuddle. Do you remember you never used to do that? I used to hug you and you just stood there and waited for it to be over. Those were times I used to feel a bit hurt, but I persevered and we've got past that. I love hugging you, I love feeling the muscles under your skin as I stroke your back or your thighs, I love the way you rest your head on my shoulder, and I love the way that you're happy for it to go on for ever. You never pull away, and I'm reluctant to, so we get some pretty long hugs sometimes.

There are still things we're working on. When I call you, or talk to you, you still don't give any indication you've even heard me, you just carry on whatever you're doing. You're not deaf, you can hear perfectly well, but I have to assume it's because of your early life, and I can be patient. We'll get there, dear Grigor, little by little.

I shouldn't be like this, I knew what to expect, they told me all about it, at the rescue centre. They said retired racing greyhounds are like that, they haven't been used to much human contact, they've never been in a domestic environment, and it takes them a while to learn to relate to their new owner. Anyway, I can't help it, dear Grigor, I'm in love with you and I hope one day your affection for me can grow into something like what I feel for you.

?Bruin Fisher November 2009

Thanks for your kind comment, Colin.

I posted the story late last night, and there's a picture I wanted to accompany it. I uploaded the picture (it's about 90k) as an attachment, and then used the button which inserts it in the text box. The result is what you see at the end of the story, although I really wanted the picture to show with the story. And the hyperlink doesn't work, so I've obviously done something wrong. Can anyone help?

Thanks for your kind comment, Colin.

I posted the story late last night, and there's a picture I wanted to accompany it. I uploaded the picture (it's about 90k) as an attachment, and then used the button which inserts it in the text box. The result is what you see at the end of the story, although I really wanted the picture to show with the story. And the hyperlink doesn't work, so I've obviously done something wrong. Can anyone help?

Bruin,

In general, to display an image in a post it has to be on a website so it can be referenced by it's html address. If you click the little Insert Image icon

AD-picture-link-dialog-box.jpg

you'll see this dialog box (or one that should be similar if you're not using IE):

AD-image-dialog-box.jpg

You can see that it prompts you for an http:// address (URL) to be entered.

If you don't have a website that lets you save images and link to them, you can create a free account on Photobucket. Once you're logged in you can upload your picture there. Then you can click on the Share link above your image; in the resulting dialog box under "Direct link for layout pages (MySpace backgrounds and custom websites" double-click in the field that starts out "http://" and the link to your picture will be highlighted; right-click on it and select Copy from the pop-up menu. Now, back in your post, in the User Prompt dialog box press Ctrl-V to paste the link then click OK.

If you click Quote for this message you can see the code that was entered for the images I included; however, I uploaded them to my own website and linked them from there. Fortunately, you don't need to enter any of this coding because the Insert Image button will do that for you. Ain't technology just grand? :lol:

Hope this helps.

Colin :wink:

...wondered when you talked about the wonderful feel of its skin. That threw me off track.

C

Hmm. Was that cheating? If so I'm sorry, it's a bummer if an author cheats. The actual wording is 'I love feeling the muscles under your skin as I stroke your back or your thighs' and I hoped that would pass muster. A dog's muscles are under its skin, I don't think you need to say 'the muscles under your fur' or 'under your pelt' do you?

Anyway, thanks for letting me know you liked the story. I'll get around to posting the picture of Grigor at some point.

Hugs to all

Bruin

Nothing's cheating in love, war or writing. I wasn't complaining, simply saying why I didn't come up with 'dog' as quickly as some might have.

I was actually thinking alien. Ugly alien. And wondering about your private tastes! :wink:

I've often thought of joining the many who rescue greyhounds. It's a terribly noble cause. For one reason or another, I haven't. I have two dogs already, and don't really have the time, space or inclination for another. If I did, a greyhound would be high on the list.

Good for you, Bruin! I really mean that.

C

I thought for a minute it was a cat, Bruin. But was delighted that it was about a greyhound!

My siter has had 2 of them, both rescued racers, and they are the most awesome animals!

They are quite scary in their sensitivity to their owners.

A wonderful piece, and I thank you.

Tracy

• 1 month later...