Love on the Rocks

vwl

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I said it before, but 'Love On The Rocks' gets better and better. It should be a published novel.

With all the good music and visual opportunities... it would make a fine movie! They could get Sir Ian McKellen to play George...

And the songs woven through the story... Leonard Chohen's Hallelujah and Jim Steinman (Air Supply)'s Making Love Out of Nothing At All are my faves... :accordion[1]:

Being Australian, it was nice to see Peter Allen's 'Tenterfield Saddler' referenced in one chapter - a fine song. And John Denver's "Seasons Of The Heart" - the song the lawyer burnt for Ty when he told him the relationship was finished - is a great song too. As for actors playing the roles, I can see Adrian Grenier as Tyson. Sir John Gielgud would have been a good choice for George.

I didn’t realise there was such a thing as ‘The Best Of Nifty’ but I would wholeheartedly support any move to have ‘Love On The Rocks’ included (along with the only other Nifty story I believe comes close – Gabriel Murphy’s ’52 Panhead’).

Bangalore, I looked for '52 Panhead at Nifty Archives. Can you give me a link to it?

Dude, '52 Panhead' used to be on Nifty but it seems to have gone. Gabriel Morgan also had his own website but I can't seem to find that either. Hopefully, like vwl says, you'll find it at cryboy. I believe the story is still a work in progress. I'll be interested to know what you think of it if you get to read it.

Thanks, Hoskins. Sadly, both the CRVboy and the Gay Authors posting for '52 Panhead stop at chapter 48 and nothing new has been posted on the story since January 2011. Too bad, because the storyline is poised at the edge of an exquisite cliff.

• 2 weeks later...

He should be in the spotlight. This has been an extraordinary story. The latest chapter made my cry, and it takes something special to do that. I’ve blubbered through this story and I’ve laughed out loud many times. The author has that whole bitter/sweet, happy/sad thing nailed. The characters are so beautifully defined. Sounds crazy I know, but I feel like I know them and care about them. That’s a gift.

Paul, if your story's anywhere near as well written as Love On The Rocks, I'd be happy to 'talk it up for you'. As you can see in this thread, Dude's 'reviews' of the story are glowing too. I'd have thought it was nice for a change to read positive feedback about stories and authors on this site?

I apologize. But, on this site I have only found authors to be treated with respect, especially budding ones.

A few months ago I hyped a Nifty story to a friend, I knew he would see what I did. I just got lucky as he did promote it here. I think it has a lot to do with Nifty's reputation, almost anything can and is posted there. Maybe AwesomeDude.com is just a bit more hightone? Personally, I expect it has more to do with the ease of posting... lots of people suck at computers.

Thanks for the link to ‘Another Way Of Being’, Paul. Not the style of story I’d normally read but the first chapter managed to hook me in. I’m up to Chapter 9 and finding it a good read.

But I keep going back to the first chapter and finding myself reading this sequence: “I was almost fourteen when my grandfather died. And he was over ninety. But I never thought of him as an old man. He looked much younger than my Father, who was his son.” For some reason, I find myself laughing every time I read it.

Speaking of good reads, there’s a Nifty story called ‘Working It Out’ by Dan Hanrady which is excellent: http://www.nifty.org/nifty/gay/college/working-it-out/.

For the record though, ‘Love On The Rocks’ remains (for the time being) the best story I’ve read on any site.