Story title and link? What was...?

Could someone point to a story title, author, and link, please?

I think this one appeared at Nifty or at Driver's old site or maybe DaBeagle? Yeah, my memory is very fuzzy, because the story was one of the first I read, and I didn't get to read all of it, for whatever reason.

The story involves a teenage boy who sees something odd at night, goes to investigate, and finds some sort of blobby, large alien or pod. There's some sort of mental link, and the boy is host to the alien for a while. No, I don't remember the outcome.

Several times lately, I've found myself wanting to read this one, as it was really great, poignant strong characters and good science fiction.

I remember the beginning of the story but not the title. The kid was in bed and saw a bright light out of his bedroom window. He went out in the rain and found a spaceship that looked like an eggplant, and an alien joined him in his mind. The story is about how both the boy and the alien lean from each other (especially the boy). That's all I remember.

Colin :icon_geek:

Yeah, that's the one. Now if someone can tell us the story and give a link. :)

Oh -- Now I remember another clue. I think it was a recommended story by the MailCrew guys also, but I haven't heard from them in a while.

Aha, Eureka! That's it! That was the clue I needed. Thanks, Colin. Somehow, you jogged my memory.

OK, the story is still at The Mail Crew's site, "Through Different Eyes" by Drake Hunter. Here's the summary there and the link.

Through Different Eyes by Drake Hunter, linked from The Mail Crew.

"Through Different Eyes" by Drake Hunter is a very special story involving

a 14-year-old boy, but it's definitely not just for teens. It's an excellent

adventure for everyone to enjoy.

Oh -- Now I remember another clue. I think it was a recommended story by the MailCrew guys also, but I haven't heard from them in a while.

Aha, Eureka! That's it! That was the clue I needed. Thanks, Colin. Somehow, you jogged my memory.

OK, the story is still at The Mail Crew's site, "Through Different Eyes" by Drake Hunter. Here's the summary there and the link.

Through Different Eyes by Drake Hunter, linked from The Mail Crew.

I read that story a long time ago. It has much of real value to say to the young reader and how we think about ourselves, others, and learning. Especially the learning part. I knew that I wouldn't forget this story, except for the title and author and where it's posted. Whatever. Now I'm going to save that link.

Colin :icon_geek:

LOVE this story. I think it was fantastic, and recommended it for B.O.N. My only critique (and it was a small one) was that the kid gets through half the story before realizing (through the alien) that he's gay. To me, he would've had a few clues prior to that. But a bunch of people here assured me that they, too, were so deeply in self-denial during their teens, they honestly didn't know until much later.

Hmm, to that point, I have one or two possible answers, but rather than running the thread on a tangent, which I'm too prone to do, I think it's worth a topic in itself. Or a blog post. Lemme put on my thinking cap. (Don't worry, I can do op-ed without taking forever, unlike stories. ;) )

Several hours later, I have a very rough first draft of an op-ed essay. It needs to cover at least one point better. It is too repetitious and long and rambling. (Whoo meeee?) But it's a start. -- It's unrelated to the story and addressing Pecman's point about how/why it takes some people longer to figure out they're gay. There are so many factors in that, it'd be tough to cover them all.