We're all mad!

Camy

Creativity 'closely entwined with mental illness'

Creativity is often part of a mental illness, with writers particularly susceptible, according to a study of more than a million people.

Writers had a higher risk of anxiety and bipolar disorders, schizophrenia, unipolar depression, and substance abuse, the Swedish researchers at the Karolinska Institute found.

Read Michelle Roberts' article

I've always suspected that I was barking mad, though to have it proved is rather disconcerting - not to mention that all of you are barking, too. Sheesh!

That, my friend, is balderdash. Sounds like jealousy to me. Because we're creative doesn't mean that we lack something else, in this case that something being a firm grasp on sanity.

The article included a lot of tommyrot. What it didn't contain was anything at all about the scientific method used to prove the conjectures. And the absence of that is very suspicious.

I think they conducted surveys in metal institutions and found many of the patients have creative bents. Not surprising if all they had to do all day was count their toes. They branched out from digit dactylonomy to something more intersting, say, painting, or writing, just to keep from going round the bend. OK, farther round the bend. The surveryers discovered them being creative, and then, against all precepts of logical interpretation of data, they turned it around. If most nutsos were creative, then most creative pukes must be nutso. QED.

I know hogwash when I hear it, and that's this. Or this is that. Whatever. I'm surprised it got printed.

C