"Two-part Harmony" by Cole Parker

Skinny dipping and soccer.  Progress is being made.

I would not have thought of auditioning to a recording . . . and of course if the playback fails, Freddie could probably supply the other part.  Assuming he had practiced it.  And the two boys certainly should practice that piece together.

R

• Like 1

Another excellent chapter. I wouldn’t have thought of auditioning with the Williams piece, but it does sound challenging. For those who are interested, here’s John Williams himself conducting his composition, The Cowboys: Overture.

On 3/30/2024 at 1:14 AM, Rutabaga said:

. . . and of course if the playback fails, Freddie could probably supply the other part.  Assuming he had practiced it. 

I was kind of assuming that's where this plot line was headed

I was late this morning, Cole. Your fault! Skinny-dipping and soccer, indeed.

I wasn't going to leave until I was done with the chapter and that was all there was to it. 😜

11 hours ago, Mattyboy said:

I was kind of assuming that's where this plot line was headed

Yeah, I was too.  Auditioning to a prerecorded backup kind of rules out the nuance associated with interplay and the subtle mutual adjustments that mark true mastery. 

• Like 1

Cole, you never fail to leave your readers satisfied yet longing for more.  This has been a most uplifting (and instructive) journey, filled with as many twists and turns as a French Horn.  Thank you.

Never underestimate the educational value of Cole's stories, like the cooking lessons in stories such as "The Boy on the Plane" or, in this case, a stroll through classical repertoire.  I am a huge Mozart fan but all of the other pieces were new to me.

The music director would have been a complete moron to reject James because of the technical failure.  Then again, I would have expected savvy teens to bring along the charger cord.  Maybe the music director realized that he would have Mrs. Ford to answer to if he didn't behave and find a way to get James in the orchestra.  He might well not want to incur her wrath.  

If James is living at Freddie's house he should be able to continue his lessons with Mrs. Ford.  He may also be able to bug Freddie into actually doing some work on his horn technique.  Undoubtedly other techniques will be polished as well.

R

Thanks for a wonderful story, Cole.

The French horn is one of my favorite instruments - to listen to, obviously - not to play. It's not as brassy as the trumpet nor as bold as the trombone. It's far more versatile than the tuba. Although seldom played in the foreground, when it is, it shines like no other wind instrument.

I agree with @Altimexis about the unique quality of the French horn.  I think of the haunting opening of the Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2, or the Waltz of the Flowers from The Nutcracker, or even the Wolf theme from Peter and the Wolf.  In cinema scores, French horns often signify some major development.  The French horn is featured in Princess Leia's Theme from "Star Wars."  And no doubt many people are familiar with the French horns in "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by the Beatles.

R