We are all family

There comes a time when those who single out the LGBT community and declare our rights invalid must stop and think. By waving a copy of the Constitution in one hand and the Bible in the other they are proving the inequality of those two documents. Guess which one I support.

It is only a matter of time before we have a court case in which Christian ethics are put on trial and that is going to be another ugly moment in history. (the Scopes trial proved that). While it is all well and good that Christians are allowed to practice their religion, when they cross the line to enforce that agenda on others they have gone too far. The gay marriage issue is a fine example.

When one Christian decides to starve himself in protest over gay marriage why do we care? He probably doesn't care if a gay teen is abused and bullied or if children languish in an orphanage instead of being nurtured in a good gay family. To many of us, Christianity is a thought process instead of a reality. I grant him the right to think the way he wants but that is a two way street. This man and those like him had better look both ways before he crosses that street or he is going to get run over by a truck...and I wouldn't mind driving it.

Here's a well written piece that describes the gay side of the issue:

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2014/01/a-gay-dads-open-letter-to-the-man-who-refused-to-eat-while-gay-couples-married/

There comes a time when those who single out the LGBT community and declare our rights invalid must stop and think. By waving a copy of the Constitution in one hand and the Bible in the other they are proving the inequality of those two documents. Guess which one I support.

I would posit that many of the people who confront us waving both documents have read neither. Even if they have, they might well not have, because they obviously understand neither.

People can have any faith they like.

People can NOT use any reference to this faith in any matters of public policy. This is wrong. Public policy and law must be based on empirical and repeatable data, and must be open to criticism, examination, and challenge, and it must be allowed to change or be discarded when found wanting as a result of this.

Religion can not and is not willing to do this. Therefore it has no place in this sphere.

Public policy and law must be based on empirical and repeatable data, and must be open to criticism, examination, and challenge, and it must be allowed to change or be discarded when found wanting as a result of this.

Maybe it's different where you are...

Religion can not and is not willing to do this. Therefore it has no place in this sphere.

One caveat: not all religion is bad. I'd re-define this as religious fundamentalists, all of whom I think are intolerant and bigoted right out of the box. And I'd say this is true for Christians, Catholics, Mormons, Muslims, Hindus, and many other faiths. The moderates can generally be reasonable, particularly in having respect for different lifestyles. It's the fundies who screw it up for everybody, and unfortunately, they make more noise than anybody else.