Cat saves boy!

It's all very poor taste, etc., but I suppose the delay in putting the dog down is due to the time i took to transport the dog to Texas.

The cat on the other hand should be given a Presidential Medal.

If my new cat had been there it would have been death by fang to the dog.

This is a great story. The Today Show here in America on NBC opened up with a story about the family, and I got a little teary eyed at seeing how much affection there was between the family and the cat. This cat clearly loved the family and sat with them the entire time they were being interviewed on live TV.

I don't so much think that the cat was defending the kid, but rather defending its territory -- like telling the dog, "what the F are you doing in my driveway?" But god damn, that was a powerful visual, particularly given the great security camera coverage the family had. (Our cat, on the other hand, would probably let me be mauled by Godzilla and neither notice nor care.)

I hope they sue the crap out of the family who let their dog loose to bite a kid riding a tricycle on his own driveway. Idiots!

• 2 weeks later...

SAD NEWS....for the dog:

http://www.today.com/pets/dog-chased-away-hero-cat-has-been-euthanized-2D79719885

So you leave your 8 month old animal untended, he bites a kid and your response is to have the poor animal killed. This guy should never own a pet...well I might send him a cobra with no handling instructions :)

I know, I can hear all of you screaming: cats rule!

So you leave your 8 month old animal untended, he bites a kid and your response is to have the poor animal killed. This guy should never own a pet...well I might send him a cobra with no handling instructions :)

After a week, the dog was still trying to bite the animal control officers in the shelter, so that was the reason why the dog was declared "incorrigible" and put to death. There are animals out there with terrible, terrible dispositions that are inclined to attack people for almost no reason, and they have no place running loose in suburban neighborhoods with kids. If the dog had been on a 200-acre farm in the middle of the country, he might never have hurt anybody. Bad choice on the part of the owners.

What I thought was incredibly decent is that the boy's family chose not to sue the dog's owners, which was very kind and compassionate.

They showed the boy's injury from the bite on TV here. It wasn't a little nip. A large chunk of the boy's leg was about half torn off by the dog, and required many stitches to put it back in place. He's taking strong antibiotics to prevent a serious infection. And he will have a large scar for the rest of his life. A neighbor said the dog had a reputation for being mean, and had escaped his yard twice before this incident.

The owner of the dog is culpable because his dog should have been adequately restrained so he couldn't escape the back yard, but he wasn't.

Colin :icon_geek:

They showed the boy's injury from the bite on TV here. It wasn't a little nip. A large chunk of the boy's leg was about half torn off by the dog, and required many stitches to put it back in place.

It's hard to see from the video, but the dog also bit the mother, and she talked about it in the Today show interview I referenced above. The family was very calm and articulate about the whole thing, and seemed very down-to-earth and kind. What was great to me was how affectionate the cat was towards the family, which couldn't be faked for TV.

If a dog came up and bit me in the face and gouged my partner's guts out, our (extremely fat) cat would raise an eyebrow and say, "darn. There goes my food source. Oh, well."

Here we go, here's the Today Show interview with the family:

The mom's comments about running outside to see the family cat attack the dog are great. This is a great, great, human interest story. And they seem like a great family, too.

2 million views on just this story... and I think 1000 people posted the actual clip of the cat attacking the dog.