Birthday Blues

Guest RBartlett

Guest RBartlett

I loved this story but then I'm partial to anything featuring Lucien and Robin. I liked how the title suggested something depressing but was really just a play on all the blue imagery in the story. Well done as usual.

Because I had an advanced reading of this story, I waited until this was posted before I said anything, but I adored it. Lucien and Robin are very similar to my own relationship, and I connect really well to it. Thanks for another great read!

Because I had an advanced reading of this story, I waited until this was posted before I said anything, but I adored it. Lucien and Robin are very similar to my own relationship, and I connect really well to it. Thanks for another great read!

I think most people would kill for the type of perfect, complete romance that Lucien and Robin have. If you have that, it would be the greatest thing ever. It would be epic!

Everything about this story was epic, though! I could write a whole dissertation analysing this one story. It has everything going for it, and every great writing technique Dabeagle has is on display.

Guest Dabeagle

I should probably let people know that the last several SS stories have benefited from some back and forth with Ryan Bartlett. It makes plotting and writers block much easier when you can talk to someone real time about what the issues are and brainstorm ways to move forward.

While Lucien is my creation, I have loved Robin from the get go. I'm always glad to spend more time with him and the cast that's cropped up lately. I'm glad everyone seems to love these guys as well.

I think most people would kill for the type of perfect, complete romance that Lucien and Robin have. If you have that, it would be the greatest thing ever. It would be epic!

Everything about this story was epic, though! I could write a whole dissertation analysing this one story. It has everything going for it, and every great writing technique Dabeagle has is on display.

I should probably let people know that the last several SS stories have benefited from some back and forth with Ryan Bartlett. It makes plotting and writers block much easier when you can talk to someone real time about what the issues are and brainstorm ways to move forward.

As much as I love this one, The Ultimate Gift is still my favorite of the Lucien and Robin stories born out of that collaboration... as I've said before in private, while I can benefit from stories written from all perspectives, as a pansexual it's sometimes difficult for me to care as much about the ones that are so heavily rooted in the physical aspects of the relationship. Robin and Lucien are different, and especially with Robin being a pansexual as he is... I don't know that I've connected more to a character I've read than I have to him.

. Robin and Lucien are different, and especially with Robin being a pansexual as he is... I don't know that I've connected more to a character I've read than I have to him.

I did notice, even though Dabeagle maintains he loves the person and not the gender, Robin has not been shy about jumping in with both feet with another guy. Especially now it seems like he and Lucien are setting up plans for a lifelong relationship, his orientation probably doesn't matter.

I really wish I could be either one of them right now, though, to have a real romantic partner.

Guest Dabeagle

I never try to put Robin in a box in terms of sexuality. He is physically attracted to both genders and he is physically attracted to Lucien. But I think what puts Lucien over the top is how Lucien loves Robin. Over the time that Lucien has had to know Robin he's grown to realize and embrace that Robin is far more than a pretty face and while I'm sure there is a fair dose of lust in their activities there is never a doubt that they genuinely care for the other. If you had to pin Robin down, he'd probably say bi-sexual just to encompass his experiences thus far, but as I note in a story further on, he just doesn't dwell on it that much. He dated girls and likes them just fine, and then he fell in love with Charlie. Then he was able to fall in love with Lucien - because he was there for him, waiting for him to be ready to accept that love he'd been holding for Robin for so long.

So Robin is just himself. I don't pretend to understand all the new labels that have come out that further define how someone feels or identifies themselves. For instance, Pansexual is how Sam feels - and I just think that's fine. I probably wouldn't apply the label to anyone else or give it much thought unless they told me that's how they feel. There has been a rise of terms like 'Cis-Gender' that I haven't looked into. In fact there was a chart circulating on Facebook to tell you about all these ways that people could identify themselves. I can't remember all that! If you say you like the way people make you feel and their parts take a backseat to that - okay. If you say that means you're a Pansexual - okay.

I won't pop a label onto Robin other than the one that says he's in love with Lucien.

I won't pop a label onto Robin other than the one that says he's in love with Lucien.

Robin and Lucien share the same label: normal.

Colin :icon_geek:

Guest Dabeagle

When one of the texts made reference to "dick grippers" I was convinced the mystery texter would turn out to be a certain character known for being a wise ass and a prankster. Imagine my surprise.

The bracelet was a master stroke.

R

This is one of the things that makes Alec so difficult to write. As he's said from time to time his aim is never to hurt and some things just aren't funny. I'd never expect Alec to do something that would have so thoroughly upset someone else. While I can't quite imagine getting texts like that, I can see them being very stressful over an extended period of time.

Guest Dabeagle

I too love this story and as James says the bracelet was an absolutely lovely touch, particularly the red segment.

They are the perfect couple. The love for each other literally pours off them in buckets and rather than being stifling its most definitely the total opposite giving the reader that warm cosy glow, too.

I giggled at the inclusion of a VW camper and had actually wondered why one hadn't shown up yet. People slag VW's off as being boring but I have an 16yo VW Bora in the garage that I use a lot. Its a great car, 1.9 turbo diesel, goes like stink, super reliable, cheap as chips to run and if you make sure the diesel service is done every 5000 miles its actually very low maintenance as well. It also gives great mileage @ around 50+ per imperial gallon.

He couldn't have chosen a better vehicle but being Dabeagle what else could he have chosen?

Its a lovely, lovely, addition to the series. This series would make a great book.

Rick

I'm so glad you love them as I do. I, of course, have to be pedantic about the VW. I'm not sure about Europe but in the states there were three primary variations on the Vanagon - The standard GL 7 Passenger, then the model described with the jumpseats and the table and then the full blown camper. I have the GL and can confirm the back folds into a bed, even on that model, and has the gear in place to have curtains if one wishes.

I've loved Robin since he first hit the page and continue to enjoy writing him. He does evolve some in future, as we all must, but I think it's good - he's still himself.

Robin and Lucien share the same label: normal.

Colin :icon_geek:

Normal? Who would want to be normal? If they are normal, then everyone on Earth should have that perfect relationship, and we would all live in perfect harmony. Thanks to Dabeagle for showing us the path to world peace :icon_thumright: .

No Holley Shifter remark? I'm displeased.

Probably needs something more like "Holy Shifter, Batman!". :icon_thumleft:

I started loving Lucian when he put the red band in the bracelet. :cry:

I was just thinking, they need to get another identical bracelet for Lucien, but maybe swap out the red band for something that would represent his birth father since Lucien still has good memories of his first father. IF they each had one, it would definitely show they are a couple.

It's amazing how much it seemed to impact Robin, though. He really is someone who sees the small symbols that convey love, like the heart shaped notes in Lucien's locker, too.

I agree with the Brit, though: everything about Lucien and Robin being together just reflects perfect, perfect love back at the reader.

Woah! Everyone was posting at the same time! It's like we're sharing each other's thoughts, :listen: .