Obituary - Barbara Bush

BBC Website Obituary - Barbara Bush

I was sorry to hear that Mrs Bush, former first lady, had been ill and chose to return home refusing further treatment. I learned this from the BBC News website, normally a reliable, informative, accurate source of news.

I was surprised, a few days later, to read the BBC Obituary post which doesn't actually mention that she has died, let alone giving the timing of her decease. Apart from calling the post an obituary (a significant clue, Watson!) there is no indication in the post that the elder stateswoman has died.

So I sent an e-mail to the BBC (as is my wont) pointing this out and expecting them to correct the oversight. I got an automated reply (thank you for your communication, we are unable to reply to all such individually but we do try to read them all...) but five days later the original post remains on the site unmodified. Shame on you, BBC!

Bruin

That's bizarre; the same sort of think happens here, too. Unfortunately, she is deceased. Her husband is in the hospital with a blood infection. He's 93; having something like that at that age is very serious.

Colin  :icon_geek:

22 hours ago, Bruin Fisher said:

BBC Website Obituary - Barbara Bush

I was sorry to hear that Mrs Bush, former first lady, had been ill and chose to return home refusing further treatment. I learned this from the BBC News website, normally a reliable, informative, accurate source of news.

I was surprised, a few days later, to read the BBC Obituary post which doesn't actually mention that she has died, let alone giving the timing of her decease. Apart from calling the post an obituary (a significant clue, Watson!) there is no indication in the post that the elder stateswoman has died.

So I sent an e-mail to the BBC (as is my wont) pointing this out and expecting them to correct the oversight. I got an automated reply (thank you for your communication, we are unable to reply to all such individually but we do try to read them all...) but five days later the original post remains on the site unmodified. Shame on you, BBC!

Bruin

I strongly suspect they may be avoiding saying people have died just in case they have not. They have made that mistake a few times in the past. 

Great Auntie?

I do have a lot of affection for 'the Beeb' but I think the changes that have happened in the media industries have resulted in the BBC's funds being spread too thin so that now much of what they do is done on a shoestring and it shows. Particularly when their news output is poorly researched or just downright sloppy I am irked.

Perhaps it's my advanced years but I'm irked more easily than I once was. I suspect I qualify now as a grumpy old man...

8 hours ago, Bruin Fisher said:

Great Auntie?

I do have a lot of affection for 'the Beeb' but I think the changes that have happened in the media industries have resulted in the BBC's funds being spread too thin so that now much of what they do is done on a shoestring and it shows. Particularly when their news output is poorly researched or just downright sloppy I am irked.

I see this all the time now in print media.  In hard cover books, and even in prestigious news publications like the LA Times and Sports Illustrated.  Not a lot, not nearly as many as in our local paper, but they're there every day in the Times, every week for SI.  Maybe the publishers need to ask the AD editors for help.

C