U=U & PrEP

Camy

I'd never heard of U=U or PrEP until tonight. EVERYONE should know!

U=U stands for Undetectable=Untransmissable

The fact that people infected with HIV who are virally suppressed cannot sexually transmit the virus to others is now accepted in the HIV/AIDS community as a result of accumulating evidence since the early 2000s. In early 2016, the Undetectable=Untransmissable (U=U) slogan was launched by the Prevention Access Campaign to promote the finding.

PrEP is a pill you can take to protect you from HIV. PrEP stands for pre-exposure prophylaxis. ... If you take PrEP correctly, you don’t need to worry about a sexual partner’s HIV status.

I found this out at: http://forum.iomfats.org/t/9287/

6 hours ago, Camy said:

I'd never heard of U=U or PrEP until tonight. EVERYONE should know!

U=U stands for Undetectable=Untransmissable

PrEP is a pill you can take to protect you from HIV. PrEP stands for pre-exposure prophylaxis. ... If you take PrEP correctly, you don’t need to worry about a sexual partner’s HIV status.

I found this out at: http://forum.iomfats.org/t/9287/

The medicos amongst us will hopefully give us their informed opinion, but my view is PrEP should only be considered as an additional weapon in tne armoury against HIV. Unfortunately some will think it means the battle is won and return to/ take up unsafe practices with gay abandon. Safe sex awareness and practice should be maintained, if only because ‘other brands of STD are available’.

As an aside Camy does have several stories posted on Iomfats as Camy Sussex. So listed under S.

At the moment PrEP, in the UK, is only available on the PrEP delivery trial, run by the NHS or if you buy it privately. The PrEP delivery trial has been limited to 10,000 men. I am lucky, I got on it. There is now a waiting list for places and a number of men have contracted HIV whilst on the waiting list. So far as I am aware, nobody on the trial has contracted HIV. Getting PrEP privately can be a bit of a problem. Most GPs will charge for a private prescription, and then you have to pay for dispensing and the drug. Most gay men buying PrEP privately are doing so off the internet. Unfortunately, what they are getting is not always PrEP.  Another issue is that the drugs used in PrEP are excreted through the kidneys. As a result, it is essential that anyone on PeEP has regular blood tests, to monitor their kidney function. Unfortunately, those who are getting PrEP privately are not getting such monitoring and there have been a couple of cases of people going down with major kidney problems.