NEWS: Writer Arthur C Clarke entombed in mysterious monolithic artifact and shot to Moon's surface

Even though Arthur Clarke was one of my all time favourite authors, and I was very unhappy to hear he'd died: :cry: I still thought - gross lack of tact for my feelings aside - that it was damn funny! :lol: Yep, very funny, TR! and, wearing a black armband, I voted!

Wake! :wav:

:bunny:

Camy

Even though Arthur Clarke was one of my all time favourite authors, and I was very unhappy to hear he'd died: :cry: I still thought - gross lack of tact for my feelings aside - that it was damn funny! :lol: Yep, very funny, TR! and, wearing a black armband, I voted!

Arthur C Clarke is dead?? :bunny:

:wav: TR

PS Dude made me write that story, btw.

PS Dude made me write that story, btw.

Dude? He's just jealous that Clarke, sorry, sir Arthur, beat him to the post with the idea of abandoning the western world and going and living in South East Asia.

Or have I got that wrong - did the Dudester go out and join ACC - and he's only coming back because the great SF writer has died?

Bruin with cheek full of tongue.

Even though Arthur Clarke was one of my all time favourite authors, and I was very unhappy to hear he'd died

Is it just me, or did that sentence get very convoluted in a hurry? Somehow "because" seems to me to make more sense than "even though". :bunny:

Wake! :wav:

:bunny:

Camy

Trab, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

It is a wonderfully convoluted sentence, certainly. Kudos to Camy for his mastery of complex structures. The only beef I have with it is that after the word 'died' I'd have put a comma rather than a colon. But I forgive him. Generous, I am.

Bruin in frivolous mood

Hmm. Must be a Brit thing, I guess.

Even though I loved my father, I was unhappy he died.

Maybe it's dry wit?

Aha. Yes, that clears it right up for me. Thanks, Bruin Fisher. Sometimes I just can't see things, although I'm not too sure if it's AS, senility, or just plain stupidity. Regardless, I can see it now, and that's what matters (to me). Thanks again. :bunny:

No probs, Trab - glad to help - I'm making new friends all the time here in this great community that is AD.

It happens to me all the time that I look at a sentence and it doesn't make sense at all. I get a sort of mental block which causes me to look at it wrong, and until someone points out another way to read it I can't get past that. So I'm with you on that one! In my case I can only claim stupidity (and senility at a pinch?!).

Bruin

Note that very few of the articles about Clarke mentioned that he was gay. According to friends of mine who seem to know these things, he had a longtime male companion in Sri Lanka with whom he lived for many years.

It's true Clarke was briefly married once, about 50 years ago, but they split up after six months. Clarke's own statement on whether or not he was gay was simply, "no, merely mildly cheerful," but I think he was a private man who just didn't care to share details about his personal life.

Maybe now that he's passed away, the truth will come out, and maybe we can know more about this fascinating man. I loved his fiction for many years, but a lot of his work had a very detached, unemotional feel to it -- not a criticism, but it's an apt description of his style. 2001 and Rendevous with Rama are good examples of this -- very cold, very scientific, but thoroughly well-told stories.