AVG free - update to 8.0

Camy

I run Grisoft's free AVG 7.5, and was mortified to find a pop-up telling me it was no longer supported after 31st May. Of course the link was to AVG version 8.0 which cost wonga.

However: panic not. After googling, I found there is a version of AVG 8.0 available that is free.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

Camy, I have seen AVG do this before when they changed version numbers.

It leads the user to think that it will be necessary to pay to keep using it.

I suspect it is a marketing ploy as usually the free version is just a little difficult to find.

I switched to Avast Home (free for home use) a year ago and it is very similar to AVG.

It updates without the AVG trauma and seems at least as good, although some reviews favour Avast over AVG,

the reason I changed was because AVG missed a trojan that Avast picked up.

I suspect they are pretty much equal in their ability to protect.

http://www.avast.com/eng/free_software.html

Of course there is no need to change from AVG, once you have worked out that there is still a free AVG version available.

With both of these programs be careful of 3rd party resellers, trying to sell a copy of the free version.

I also note there is a Norton "security Scanner" being distributed with some software programs.

Personally I wouldn't touch Norton Anti-virus again as it just slowed my PC to a crawl.

For this info much thanks!

I had the same problem and was considering switching from AVG to Avast purely because the latter is still available for free. But now I can choose which to use - as Des says, I suspect they're neck-and-neck in terms of ability.

The current suite of stuff from McAfee, like Norton, slows an already slow-ish computer to a crawl. I spit upon it.

Bruin

• 4 weeks later...

My Norton Internet Security 2008 subscription ran out and Symantec wanted me to buy Norton 360. I decided to ditch Symantec and move to the AVG and Zone Alarm combination.

On the first run of AVG, it found 15 items that Norton AV passed over as OK. There was an immediate improvement in my systems performance.

The only annoying thing is teaching the firewall what are cool to go where and talk to who but at least Zone Alarm remembers those details.

Beats the heck out another Symantech product that misses viruses and is so bloated it clogs up the machine.

I had the same experience. I got rid of Norton, something incidentally that's quite a task to do completely, and installed AVG and it found several problems that Norton hadn't and completely eliminated them. It's the same cost, or less, than Norton, and works better. That's a pretty good combination.

I probably should add here that Colin recommended it, or I'll be hearing from him.

C

I had the same experience. I got rid of Norton, something incidentally that's quite a task to do completely, and installed AVG and it found several problems that Norton hadn't and completely eliminated them. It's the same cost, or less, than Norton, and works better. That's a pretty good combination.

I probably should add here that Colin recommended it, or I'll be hearing from him.

C

Thanks, Cole. :omg:

Colin :icon13: