Grasshoppers journal

I can only say that my own experience with my cats, have been somewhat similar to what Grasshopper describes.

Together, my bf and I have held each other as we farewelled each of them when their time came.

No matter if you like cats or dogs, their affection is as unconditional as ours should be.

sniff.

One of the hardest things I ever had to do in my life was to take my old dying Siamese cat, Yoko, to the vet to get "the big blue shot." I held her in my arms when they did it, and she closed her eyes and was out in about five seconds, very quiet and peacefully.

I've only totally lost it and cried uncontrollably twice in my life, and that was one of those times. It was a real out-of-body experience, like I was watching a movie of somebody else breaking down. The only other time that happened was when I had to speak at my father's funeral service, and while I didn't get hysterical, I did get choked up to the point where I couldn't speak very well.

Rough experience. But I knew that the cat was as comfortable as possible when she went, and she was surrounded by my partner and I, who loved her very much. I pray that when I finally shuffle off this mortal coil, I have a fate as good as that.