Sudden Storm

I also know someone whose views I respect who says it's his least favorite of Driver's stories.

It is quite different from his other works which tend to be coming of age tales.

I can see how it would not sit comfortably side by side with Falling off a Log or some of his other stories.

It is quite different from his other works which tend to be coming of age tales.

I can see how it would not sit comfortably side by side with Falling off a Log or some of his other stories.

I don't understand that. He's always asked for comments at the end of each chapter.

I won't stop you from discussing his works however Driver has made it known that he prefers people do not discuss his works. Although you may not understand his reasons, it would be appreciated by him if you didn't discuss his works :)

I can say from personal experience that Driver always welcomed discussion about his work. Like all of us who write, he needed some affirmation that the effort was worth it, especially given what he had to personally go through over the years as a result of having written these stories.

He did, however, eschew the need to dissect each story and especially to glean into his personal life which he has always held sacrosanct.

Sudden Storm is a Coming of Age story. The protagonist goes through a life altering event which follows him throughout his life. In fact, I would say that this is one of the common threads throughout Driver's works.

I can say from personal experience that Driver always welcomed discussion about his work. Like all of us who write, he needed some affirmation that the effort was worth it, especially given what he had to personally go through over the years as a result of having written these stories.

He did, however, eschew the need to dissect each story and especially to glean into his personal life which he has always held sacrosanct.

Look, I don't know Driver personally, like many of you do, but I see him in his writing. This man has a passion that I can only hope to emulate. Yes, I feel that he's hurting...or has in his past. I just finished reading The Quarry. It was boring, BUT it told me a lot about myself and who the author is. I listened to what he had to say, and it floored me. It changed me. It wasn't literature, but it was honesty...it was Driver. It was something that we all, the world, needs to read, but more so...understand.

Driver, whoever he is, is his characters...he changed me!

Look, I don't know Driver personally, like many of you do, but I see him in his writing. This man has a passion that I can only hope to emulate. Yes, I feel that he's hurting...or has in his past. I just finished reading The Quarry. It was boring, BUT it told me a lot about myself and who the author is. I listened to what he had to say, and it floored me. It changed me. It wasn't literature, but it was honesty...it was Driver. It was something that we all, the world, needs to read, but more so...understand.

Driver, whoever he is, is his characters...he changed me!

Richard

Very well said! I had the same experience when I read the Quarry. It was by no means boring to me, confusing perhaps with the myriad of characters, but not boring.

I corresponded with Driver a little over a year ago. We discussed his stories at length and a number of other things. As I told him, when a young author asks me how something is done well, I point at one of his stories.

We come not to bury Ceaser but to praise him for he is the king and nobody does it better.