The Gift of Bob Dylan

I just read Duncan Ryder's new short story on AD.

What a marvelous piece of work! Sensitive and finely crafted, intelligent and evocative. Just wonderful stuff.

C

I couldn't agree with Cole more. If you like words, if you're fascinated by the way the right words are fashioned together, if you can let your heart go and follow these right words, this story will take you to new heights.

I don't know how to better describe what I just read. This was Duncan Ryder writing poetry.

Thanks all. It's been a long time since I tried a short story... this one seems to be hitting a few chords.

There are so many stories about the pain that comes from the exploitation of innocence, and that is one way that we learn... but I really wanted to take a look at the other side of that, at the man who is strong and kind and generous enough to recognize and honour it. That too is a way to learn...

Duncan.

And a far better way, I think. I had a somewhat similar experience when I was a very young man, here in Seattle.

I was working in a restaurant, the very first that i ever cooked in. The head chef was a campy, screaming queen named Jeffrey. He recognized that I was a very innocent young man, without a clue about life in the gay community, and he took me under his wing and was very kind and nurturing. He could have exploited me very easily, but he chose to teach me how to cook, how to fight off the despair of loneliness and how to wait for the right time to express the needs and desires that I had experienced for so long. He told me almost the very same thing that the older man in your tale tells the protagonist: You're going to make some man very happy some day. I will always cherish his kindness to me.

cheers!

aj

Great short story. Duncan is one of my favorite authors. His Everybody's Wounded has some of the most intense writing I've ever read, anywhere, online or printed. The sequel How the Light Gets In (in progress) leaves me hanging my my fingernails waiting for the next chapter to be posted.

Colin :icon_geek:

And a far better way, I think. I had a somewhat similar experience when I was a very young man, here in Seattle.

I was working in a restaurant, the very first that i ever cooked in. The head chef was a campy, screaming queen named Jeffrey. He recognized that I was a very innocent young man, without a clue about life in the gay community, and he took me under his wing and was very kind and nurturing. He could have exploited me very easily, but he chose to teach me how to cook, how to fight off the despair of loneliness and how to wait for the right time to express the needs and desires that I had experienced for so long. He told me almost the very same thing that the older man in your tale tells the protagonist: You're going to make some man very happy some day. I will always cherish his kindness to me.

cheers!

aj

Here's to all the "michaels" and Jeffreys of this world, to their strength and their sensitivity and their generosity. And may we all hae the strength and the courage and the generosity to pass on the gift when we have the opportunity.

Duncan.