Beautiful Soul

ube licker

The school reminds me a bit of Dr. Xavier's X-mansion- where, as a kid, I wanted to go since I was obviously a mutant.

I'll read the whole thing but I think I'm gonna crash nowwwwwwww......

SNOG! ......................

haha that's funny, considering im such an x-man fan. :? but I never actually thought about it that way... guess that's what happens when one attempts an allegory

Although something like that school would never be allowed, it's desperately needed.

The alienation and isolation kills.

In reference to a school like that never being allowed...I hate to burst your bubble but there already is a school similar to that in New York. It's called the Harvey Milk Institue and it is entirely for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, etc students.

I looked into going there when I came out to my dad and he tried to shoot me, lol. They provide housing for students who come in from out of state. It's really a remarkable place, and you're right, we could use MORE of them.

Harvey Milk Institue

Wow. I know that would've helped a classmate or two, and it would've helped me, if I could've accepted myself that extra little bit to say I was gay, to myself or anyone else.

However, I also think straight teens need to see people like us in everyday life, to realize we aren't any different. Yes, I know about baiting and bashing and the consequences. But I also know about brave guys and girls who tough it out, even if they don't come out, and the braver ones who do come out. I know one or two who'd say that isn't being brave, they had no choice. I still think it's brave to stand up to it day in and day out, whether out or closeted or not sure or friendly.

came out to my dad and he tried to shoot me, lol.

I think you were exaggerating in your case. I hope so. It has happened. -- I don't think you meant to be flippant. -- I'd put you in that "braver than I was" category, btw. Like you, I'm learning.

In reference to a school like that never being allowed...I hate to burst your bubble but there already is a school similar to that in New York. It's called the Harvey Milk Institue and it is entirely for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, etc students.

I looked into going there when I came out to my dad and he tried to shoot me, lol. They provide housing for students who come in from out of state. It's really a remarkable place, and you're right, we could use MORE of them.

That's New York. I'm from Mississippi. It might as well be another planet.

Here we had a camp open for gay adults to have retreats and get their heads together. That was ~12 years ago and the thumpers still have them in and out of court.

I like this story. Ethan is a very likable guy. And it's clear that Ube Licker has researched his story really well...or he's following the dictum "write what you know." or both. I loved the background details about hawaiia.

I have to admit, i don't think i'd want to be at this school, not because it's an all gay school, but because of the class differences I see between ethan and pretty much everybody else there. Most of the guys there seem like they've got terminal ennui, and that's an attitude i have a hard time with. I guess the idea of that many rich, bored guys all crammed into one place grinds on my very working class sensibilities.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to more chapters, and hoping that ethan doesn't get corrupted. hehe

cheers!

aj

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I read this story all in one gulp and found it very enjoyable. I certainly would *not* want to be in such a school, though... It seems filled with really rich kids who would grate on my sensibilities; and the class and group divisions are lethally sharp. Ethan is shaping up to be a very likable character, and the complexities of all the romances/lusts/intrigues are interesting, to say the least. Update soon!

dcorvus

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks dcorvus. I'm glad that you're liking the story. It's been a while since I posted a chapter but I have been working on it as much as I could. I've been rather preoccupied lately, but I do intend to finish this. The next chapter of 'Beautiful Soul' can be found here on awesomedude. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow. My writing compared to Robert Cormier? Thanks EleCivil.

Chapter 11 is up. Enjoy :D

Oh, and thanks to everyone who's been e-mailing me. I'll answer a few questions here. Yes, I wanted the characterization to be a little vague for a few reasons. Explaining an emotion that the character doesn't know he feels can be very challenging. As mentioned above there is no school in Oahu called 'Montega Academy' for gay adolescent males. It's ok to "bug me". I enjoy reading all your e-mails, whether you have positive comments or criticisms. The other characters practically narrate what Damien feels but they also assume a lot of things. Yes, I know how it's going to end. No, I don't think any of you are weird or creepy for e-mailing me. I wish I could write faster but then my writing would be even more sloppier than it is now. Yeah, I have this impulse to leave things in cliff hangers. I guess that's why I ended chapter 11 the way I did. It's hard to break a habit.

Anyways, thanks again for the feedback guys. I only wanted people to read my story. I never thought I'd actually get any fans. It's pretty cool. Enjoy the rest of the story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello everyone. Well here I am. I am that rascal Damien in this story :roll:

Not sure if it is a good thing or not, but hey... go easy on me :wink:

I am not into reading but knowing da characters in this story i couldnt help myself but to read on.

It is a fictional story although his description of da characters and the way they go on have certainly made it life like :D