Real Life Sometimes Hurts

Maybe some of you have noticed that I have been less than active in these forums lately and I thought that I should tell you all why.

I had a very good friend. He was young, gay, enthusiastic about life, full of promise and active in his community. When David and I first had the idea of starting a series of gay and lesbian centers in New Mexico two and a half years ago, he was one of the first to join our Organizing Committee. He was fantastic with his ideas, his hopes and his dreams for our project.

He committed suicide a couple of weeks ago. He was 22.

I will miss him.

From day one, my passion for the Centers is to have a teen center and my first priority was to start suicide prevention programs. This hit my like a speeding freight train smashing my body and soul into oblivion. We're healing, and it will take time, but my resolve to stop this useless waste is tearing at me now more than ever.

Each and every one of you here are my friends, and I thought you should know.

What a goddamn, terrible, tragic waste.

I feel for you Richard, and for the young man who had so much despair this was the only way he could see to fix it.

Your gay youth centers will prevent others from doing this, and you're to be praised to the high heavens for what you're doing. You can't save them all, but you are saving some, and that's a lot more than most of us are doing.

I'm so sorry, for both of you.

Cole

That's a tragic story, Richard. You never know what internal demons are haunting people. Nowadays, we like to think that psychiatrists have a magic pill that can solve most of these problems, but I think the reality is a lot more complicated than that.

Whatever you do, don't blame yourself. I know one person who attempted suicide several times, and they had (on the surface) a good life, a terrific home, and a nice family. Eventually, they got help and it worked out, but there were no easy answers.

I wish you much luck with your centers and hope you can make them a success. If you're taking donations via PayPal (or have a website), post a link and maybe we can help you out.

Richard,

I'm so sorry to hear that your young friend decided to take the ultimate wrong turn in his short life. He must have had issues away from your Centers that he decided he couldn't talk about and thought were unsolvable. I think that's so sad, because I also think there is no problem that's unsolvable.

You and David will heal, and this tragic event will be able to be used as an important story when counseling the kids who come to your Centers.

Colin :w00t: