Twilight

aj

I wouldn't do that to my readers. :icon11:

I'm thinking of renaming it because I've got email thinking it was fan-fiction. No flames though- apparently they were glad that it wasn't about vegetarian vampires.

As much as I like the title, the word "Twilight" has developed a certain connotation that isn't applied to fine literature such as what you write.

I'm coming in late here because I just read it. I waited till it was done because I don't much like reading stories a chapter at a time. At my age, I have problems remembering what went before.

This was simply a wonderful story. It shows James' incredible grasp of the intricacies of the armed forces, personnel, weapon systems, deployment, just everything.

And he manages to put all that in a compelling novel with interesting and believable characters.

I've always loved James' writing, and this certainly continues his string of successes.

Way to go, James. I wish you'd write more. You are indeed a terrific writer, one I stand in awe of.

C

• 11 years later...

An enjoyable re-read as a Pick from the Past.  In the past I did support work on several of the weapons systems mentioned, particularly the AMRAAM (Advanced Medium Range Air to Air Missile) program, the Patriot missile, and the M1 Abrams tank night vision system . . . so it was fun to "relive my childhood" with mention of those items.   My only wish is that the chapter pages would get a face lift and technical edit to remove the spurious codes that suddenly turn the text black, and that "next chapter" links be added at the bottom of each page.

R  

• 7 months later...

I read the story again going very late into the night (read "wee hours").  Same comments as in my previous post immediately above.  Of course the story cannot help conjuring up the current masking/lockdown response to COVID-19.  But the shadowy machinations of the principal bad guy in the story conjure up S.P.E.C.T.R.E. from the James Bond world.

R

On 2/25/2010 at 10:15 AM, Merkin said:

James Savik has offered up the final chapter of Twilight. This brilliant novel has entertained and informed me throughout, and every chapter has managed to provide at least one jaw-dropping episode or encounter. As a non-military techno-challenged tree-hugger type I had a steep learning curve to deal with, but James proved to be a master at inserting enough technical information to keep me abreast of the plot and aware of the issues and threats. I think this compelling novel is extraordinary, highly publishable, and a cinch for mainstream success.

Congratulations, James. An impressive, memorable accomplishment.

James Merkin

This is my second up-all-night, can't-put-it-down reread of James's novel, and I stick by my initial comment.  I sincerely believe this work should seek mainstream publication.