Sub-genres in Fantasy and Science Fiction

I get confused (easily) about genre, and especially sub-genres in speculative fiction. I'm writing this weird novel thing that starts in a relatively normal England, and then changes. So what genre was it, I wondered - not that it matters a jot.

Anyway, I came across this article which helps. So I thought I'd post the link in case anyone else is confused!

Sub-genres in Fantasy and Science Fiction

I get confused (easily) about genre, and especially sub-genres in speculative fiction. I'm writing this weird novel thing that starts in a relatively normal England, and then changes. So what genre was it, I wondered - not that it matters a jot.

I wouldn't worry about genres. If the story is entertaining, the characters are believable, and the plot makes sense, who cares?

There are all kinds of stories that jump genres and go in unexpected areas. For example, Dreamworks announced a picture a couple of years ago that has yet to be shot, but just the title alone is fantastic:

COWBOYS AND ALIENS.

:wav:

I immediately see the potential: conventional 1870s western, cowboys & native Americans, fighting on the Western plains... and then the saucers land and all hell breaks loose. Dynamite idea. This will make $500 million if they do it right.

I like the idea of playing around with different genres and trying new things. That's why my first novel was a poignant, late-1960s coming-of-age story; my second was a contemporary, violent thriller; and my new one is science-fiction and historical fiction. All of these have had romantic overtones, but aside from having gay lead characters, they're not that similar to each other. Haven't tried horror, haven't tried westerns, haven't tried crime fiction, haven't tried comedy. All of these are ripe for material, no question.

I wouldn't worry about genres. If the story is entertaining, the characters are believable, and the plot makes sense, who cares?

Absolutely. That's called a good story. (....Please submit your good stories to AwesomeDude and Codey's World this instant....)

COWBOYS AND ALIENS.

If they do a really entertaining show with all the right ingredients (thought + feeling + exciting and amazing) then that sounds like a hit. There are *plenty* of character types from the Old Westerns that (still!) are underused. The people back then were resourceful, though there was some awfulness too. -- Throw some space traveling aliens (unbelievably high tech, truly alien bodies and minds) into the mix, and you could really have something. -- Fun and adventure, great ideas, social commentary...there are reasons I like scifi.

I'd even buy popcorn and a drink! Yeehaw!

We now return you to the regularly scheduled thread, already in progress....