Teech Thu Rakewn

Ok, how can I make the MultiQuote feature work? Let's say I want to quote third things in one, I assume I click the "MQ" button on the first then the "MQ" on the second then the regular "Q" button on the third. Except it doesn't work.

The online help has no directions for this feature.

I am vexed.

I am boggled, but that's nothing new.

Ok, how can I make the MultiQuote feature work? Let's say I want to quote third things in one, I assume I click the "MQ" button on the first then the "MQ" on the second then the regular "Q" button on the third. Except it doesn't work.

I am vexed.

I am perplexed, also, bewitched, bothered and bewildered.

I never worked out how the multi-quote thing works either.

If any one knows, please leave directions...

I can't be expected to know these things, I'm only the stoopid admin.

:icon11:

I've never known how to work it either, but that's no surprise at all for me. I can find a way to do most things I want, but maneuvering around through this system correctly, the way all the rest of you do, is totally impossible. I'm not computer challenged, I'm computer defeated.

I agree with the rascally rodent: the directions given aren't much use.

But there has to be an easy way to do is as I see many of you experts doing it frequently.

C

I never expected to be teaching the great and wise raccoon (may his fur never fall out) to suck eggs...

If you wish to quote three posts in a thread in your reply, click the 'Multi' button in each post (the '+' sign on the button will change to a '-' sign). Now scroll to the bottom of the thread and click 'Add Reply'. This is where you've been going wrong - you can't click the 'Reply' button in one of the posts, and nor can you click the 'Fast Reply' button at the bottom of the thread. Only the 'Add Reply' button will do what you want it to.

And to prove it, here are three quotes from this thread:

I am vexed.

I am boggled, but that's nothing new.
I guess I meant to add that you are vexed, but that's nothing new.

You can also fabricate a quote yourself in your reply by typing ['quote'] and then whatever text you like and then finishing with ['/quote']. (Type both codes without the quotation marks) Of course if it's to be a real quote you'd best cut and paste text from the original, otherwise you could deceive... like this:

I think Bruin is truly and uniquely wonderful and I would like one day to give him an all-over body massage

Does the absence of date and time information signify that is a fake quote, Bruin? Or could you have added that in?

I'm a bit fearful that having this ability to fake a quote could be setting us up for baaaad threads...

James

Does the absence of date and time information signify that is a fake quote, Bruin? Or could you have added that in?

I'm a bit fearful that having this ability to fake a quote could be setting us up for baaaad threads...

James

The ability to fake a quote has always been there. All you have to do is highlight the phrase after you type it, and then click on the little ballooned text icon just under the font drop down box, and bingo you have a quote, and you can quote me on that. :happy:

In the edit of a posted quote, it is possible to put in a date and time, but honestly, if we are quoting our own forums, it is very easy to check to see if the quote is fabricated or accurate.

External quotations, where we might refer to some other person's statement either in the recent past or a historical record, can also be easily verified.

However it is also easy to be the subject of misinformation on the Internet, that is why we encourage everyone to post any links which contain references to the relative portions of their post. Failing that, a reference to the poster's understanding of the truth of a statement is sufficient to aid transparency. Brody's posts are a text book of propriety in posting.

I recently wanted to quote a historical figure with one of his famous quotes, only to find that there is a whole Internet argument going on as to whether the translation of the quote into English was ever verified, or if the whole quote in the original document was in fact a fabrication. As I could not verify it to my satisfaction, I left it out of my post.

Our Forums are a place for discussion, they are not a court of law. However, the wit and fun of interactive discourse is one of the things we all enjoy. (I was going to say intercourse but some people already think I am obsessed with sexual overtones, 24/7.)

We have Forums for a wide variety of debate and information. It is inconceivable to me that we would deliberately lie to each other over these subject matters, even when our views are as diversified as they sometimes are.

After all there are no cash prizes or holidays to be won, that would make lying and fabrication attractive for those kinds of people who probably don't frequent our pages anyway.

We believe in free speech. In particular, the ability to pose a hypothesis or to scrutinise a subject or opinion, in a friendly and even passionate manner, but with reason and logic, is a welcome alternative to the mass ravings and personal insults, of the less informed and less enquiring minds, sometimes seen in other places on the Net. But I must quickly add that even those sites have their place in the scheme of freedom of expression.

We also are not besieged or 'blessed' :icon11: with contributors who simply want to impose their beliefs on others. I am somewhat shocked at the inanity, let alone the insanity of posts I see at some sites. Fortunately, our common literary interests seem to keep us above the level of those crass commentators.

As an aside, when I first arrived on the Net, I tended as do most newbies, towards the announcement, "Hey look at me, I'm here."

As time passed and my experience in Net communication grew, it became apparent that such an attitude didn't do anything for anyone.

Much better was the attitude to speak when spoken to, or approach subjects with the idea of sharing a view, rather than insisting it was the only one.

I know that some of my posts seem dogmatic, or at least assertive. Some of them are, it's my style much of the time, but all are open to investigation and comment.

The only exception are when as Admin, I have to (reluctantly) enforce, or elaborate on, our house rules, which fortunately I rarely have to do.

Posts like this one are in the grey area between my Admin duty posts, and my comments as just another member; -most unusual.

Carry-on Dudes. :hehe:

Yes I was just too lazy to type it all in. If you use the quote facility, then while you have the editor open, for you to type your contribution, you can see the quote codes. The one above has the following: quote name='Merkin' date='Feb 25 2010, 03:02 PM' post='30481' all enclosed in square brackets at the top. If you type your own version of that lot you can make your quote say anything. Like this:

Has Mr Disney ever seen a mouse? Does he think this is what they look like? Why did no-one sack him?