New UK Government

(The recent UK Election produced a result which did not give one party an overall majority, so backroom deals have now produced a coalition between Conservatives and Liberal Democrats, unlikely bedfellows)

We are guests at a wedding, the celebration is in full swing, we have listened to the speeches from those who brought it about, and we wish the happy couple all the best. Some of us, sitting at tables distant from the wedding party, after a few drinks are quietly expressing our amazement that these two got married. We've known them for a while, and know that they've rarely agreed on anything, and yet here they are, committed to long-term co-operation. How they'll manage it has not been spelled out fully, but some details have surfaced. Nick wants electoral reform, David apparently has promised him a referendum on Alternative Voting (AV) which is not the reform that Nick wants but it's a step in that direction. Nick wants the first ?10,000 of personal income to be tax-free (currently it's just above ?6,000) and David says he can have it, although that will surely require tax rates for higher earners to be increased and David's team are always against that. Nick wants to integrate more fully with Europe, David's team includes some who want to leave Europe altogether, and some who just want to halt further integration. It's an issue that has split David's team disastrously in the past.

David's Best Man, William Hague, has been speechifying on camera and on mic extensively and expresses himself full of confidence that the two parties will have a lasting and fruitful marriage, and that both are mature adults who can settle differences and bring about real progress towards economic recovery and stability. I wish them all success in their endeavour.

I thought long and hard about what gift to bring to the wedding. A chalice, containing a few drops of arsenic, seemed appropriate, but I decided against it and in a spirit of cautious optimism I bought them a baby buggy in the hope that we're in for a fertile future.

Bruin

William Hague has been speechifying on camera and on mic extensively and expresses himself full of confidence that the two parties will have a lasting and fruitful marriage, and that both are mature adults who can settle differences and bring about real progress towards economic recovery and stability.

Bruin

England has often led us, and I fervently hope they can again. Our politics seem at an all-time low. If The Dems declare it's nighttime, the Pubs would declare it's noon and threaten a filibuster till the issue is dropped. Neither side seems to remember that the way to get things done is to have a meeting of the minds, thrash out the differences, find areas of agreement, and operate in a climate of compromise.

If England's marriage of diverse separates can be made to work, how wonderful a thought it is that perhaps we can be shamed into following suit. There are smart people in both our major parties here. It's the intransigence of the zealots on the wings of the parties that do the damage. I'm hoping England makes it work, and sets a positive example of cooperative governance.

C

New UK Government, First thoughts:

Cameron Diaz will make a fine PM; she and Clegg will have great fun sharing clothes and makeup tips while making up stuff for the press.

Second thoughts I'll leave to the voters.

:spank: TR

so backroom deals have now produced a coalition between Conservatives and Liberal Democrats, unlikely bedfellows

That sounds like an abortion waiting to happen.

Lovely, TR! Thanks!

You're quite welcome, BF, my warped view of the world isn't always so appreciated - like that funny relative who farts at table. Truth is, 'truth' seems pretty mallable and the world a tad tiresome if you stay too sober in your perceptions.

Me, I like a little color; adds spice to a weird and weary world. But as I said, some hereabouts are quick to take umbrage or dismiss humor as inconsequential, with others loathe to take off the emerald glasses. You'd be amazed.

If satire can take Al Franken to the US Senate, though, maybe there's hope yet for its virtues.

I've found humor can be a fab platform for criticism and compliment and, like Des, am partial to the punny.

It also keeps my typing skills at par.

:spank: TR