Unbroken male voice choirs

I'm inspired to start a new thread after watching the video clip posted by Cole, "Kings College Choir Announce Major Changes".

It didn't seem right to post this in his thread, and thus hijack it, so I'm beginning another.

Does anyone here share my experience, of being a member of a boys' choir?

The first Boarding School I attended had a music teacher who had big ambitions and started a choir of 8 - 13 year olds, and drilled us mercilessly until we became really rather good. We sang on the BBC, and at St Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, St Albans, Salisbury, Ely and at the Chapel of King's College Cambridge among other places. And we made records.

My memories of that time are curiously mixed. Much of them focus on terror. We were all afraid of the choirmaster, who had a temper and was wont to throw things at any boy he caught not looking at him for his cue at the right moment. Choir practice took up much of our lives, as far as I remember we rehearsed half an hour every morning and again in the evening. But despite all this the experience of singing in those big imposing buildings - and for me hearing my own voice soaring above the music - was spine-tingling and has stayed with me all my life.

9 hours ago, Bruin Fisher said:

Does anyone here share my experience, of being a member of a boys' choir?

Yes. I was in the choir for a month. I only auditioned because the choristers got to jump the queue and eat early... fresh hot food! Then, sadly, I was let go.

4 hours ago, Cole Parker said:

That sounds like the fodder for some great stories, Bear.  Either fiction or fact-based.  What are you waiting for?

Ditto! More Bruin tales, please!

13 minutes ago, Camy said:

Yes. I was in the choir for a month. I only auditioned because the choristers got to jump the queue and eat early... fresh hot food! Then, sadly, I was let go.

Funnily enough, we got special privilege too - in our case we were allowed exeats (visits home) two weekends per term rather than the one that the other boys got.

4 hours ago, Cole Parker said:

That sounds like the fodder for some great stories, Bear.  Either fiction or fact-based.  What are you waiting for?

C

Your faith in my muse is touching, Cole. I'll get my cattle prod out and see if I can stimulate him into activity....

36 minutes ago, Camy said:

Why ever did they let you go? We know you can sing, did they fail to recognise your talent? Or were you extremely badly behaved?