The Barlow Boy

Guest Dabeagle

Guest Dabeagle

I was looking for a short story to read, having an extra twenty minutes or so while having my coffee, and chose this one. I have never read James Savik's work before, so this was just a random for me. I thoroughly enjoyed it because it came at me from an unusual direction. I have gotten into some stories and stopped for various reasons, and I was close on this one. I'm not a religious person and have a hard time seeing things from that perspective, so when it opened with the perspective of a man of the cloth, I almost hit 'back'.

I'm glad I didn't. It was solid read that more people should read. Its message is relevant today as much as it ever was.

• 4 years later...

Oh, brilliantly done... to say more would be a spoiler.

Well done Rick for drawing our attention back to this 2010 posting... there must be lots of people who have missed out on it since... go look for it... this elderly atheist lapsed anglican says its brilliant... well done James.

Find it here... http://awesomedude.com/jamessavik/the-barlow-boy/the-barlow-boy.htm

It's funny. Coincidences do happen. I just read this the other day, read it again, because of James's recent message here. That brought this story into stark relief. Then, to my surprise, the story shows up in the forum discussions here.

This story should be required reading in schools in this country.

C

Thanks guys.

The only thing that's missing is that no one has ever mentioned the symbolism of the names.

Peter? Chris? I guess I could have gotten more blatant and changed Peter to Paul.

Believe it or not, I got the most scathing flame I've ever seen over this story.

From what I remember about it, I think the reader must have seen some things, gone critical mass and exploded before he quite finished it.

Probably, the flame came from a religious nut case.

At least you get responses to your stories.

Although I'm sure you could do without that flame.

Your story certainly didn't deserve it, in my opinion.

• 1 year later...